How to Stop DS Job sequence

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mtechnocrat
Participant

How to Stop DS Job sequence

Post by mtechnocrat »

Hi

I need to stop the DS job sequence , which was running from past 10 days. I tried to stop from DS director , but no use.Is there any other alternative ?? is there any command to stop the sequence fom Admin ??

Please advice me ...

thanks in advance
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Sometimes the Director shows a process as still running when the actual process is no longer active. Have you checked from UNIX to see if there is still a 10-day old running process? If not, a reset or recompile of the job sequence will do the trick for you.
mtechnocrat
Participant

Post by mtechnocrat »

Reset but is not active , I am uanble to compile some jobs in this sequence .getting error message like ' cann't get exclusive access to excutable file job , job may be being monitored.
mtechnocrat
Participant

Post by mtechnocrat »

HI

I ahve tried with REST , Reset but is not active , I am uanble to compile some jobs in this sequence .getting error message like ' cann't get exclusive access to excutable file job , job may be being monitored.

Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you get that message then the process(es) are probably still active at UNIX. Can you identify the ones running for 10 days and a do a "kill {pid}" on them? The "kill -9 {pid}" should only be done as a last resort, since it leaves locks open in DataStage - perhaps you have already done this and that is why the recompile won't work. You should start the deadlock daemon (see documentation or this forum for details) in order to make sure that any locks are not due to defunct processes.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Use Cleanup Resources in Director to identify processes and locks held by those processes. Release these locks then you will be able to recompile. If you can not see all the locks, then you may have locks held by defunct processes. You could try using dsdlockd on the server to check whether any of these exist. You may be able to use the DS.TOOLS menu in the project to release all locks associated first with the child jobs then with the job sequence. Restarting the DataStage services is guaranteed to clear the lock tables, but even then you may need to clear the status file of one or more of the jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dprasanth
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by dprasanth »

mtechnocrat wrote:HI

I ahve tried with REST , Reset but is not active , I am uanble to compile some jobs in this sequence .getting error message like ' cann't get exclusive access to excutable file job , job may be being monitored.

Thanks
If you have administrator rights why don't you try unlocking the job through a command called DS.TOOLS
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

The DS.Tools is the best option in this case. It just works fine for unlocking jobs rather than killing a process at unix level.
If you have the admin rights or someone else in your team, then, goto the the Datastage Adminstrator- and enter the command DS.Tools at the prompt.
Respond with option 4 to unlock jobs.
And then with 7 and enter the PID number.
This should definetly work.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
vinodhraj
Participant

Post by vinodhraj »

Use CLEAR STATUS option
vinnu_p
Participant

Re: How to Stop DS Job sequence

Post by vinnu_p »

Try KILL command in unix by getting PID# from DStage directory
For example
If the PID# for the job is 12345
then you can use
kill -u 12345
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Bad advice. The job is one process, but it has child processes. If you kill the job process, its child processes become zombies which are much more difficult to kill.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.