Version Control Questions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Cowmix
Charter Member
Charter Member

Newbie VC questions..

Post by Cowmix »

Here is my situation.. I'm a new SCM on a project that is heavily leaning on DS for the ETL side of things. I am going through some VC pains now. The issue, of course, is that the most experienced DS people on the team are not up VC technology.. and don't really care in general about the process. Here are my issues (and keep in mind I am new to DS too):

1. Word on the street is that you can't export a job/flow that is being worked on. If I wanted to do an automated, command line dump of an entire project I have to make sure everyone is out of the DS dev server. Since we have at least 20+ active day time developers on the project, I think this is a great concern. Is it a real issue?
2. I have been told... don't muck with the DSX files. I was going to use the DSXparse.pl script on this forum to chunk a dsx file into pieces but the senior DS guy on team said that its his experience that if you touch the file, you'll screw it up and we wouldn't trust any non-DS product to parse the dsx file. Is anyone on this forum using the parser for VC purposes with any success?
3. Deployment - Is there anyway (or is there any suggested method) to 'package' a DS job (in like an RPM) that can automatically deploy on a server?
4. Extension dependencies - If a job/flow depends on a C++ based extension, what is the best way to track the job/flow version with the version of the resultant object file that DS will call?

So that is my first batch of issues..

BTW, as I automate any of my DS <-> VC steps, I am going to work with my management to release to this forum script snippets that might help anyone else... :)