Regarding sequence restarting

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Zabeerulla
Participant

Regarding sequence restarting

Post by Zabeerulla »

Hi,

We are using DataStage 7.5.1

1. Can we write a routine which compiles all the jobs present in a project. If yes, then please specify.

2. Consider the following scenario.

a. We have a Master sequnce which contains a group of base sequnces which runs one after the other if they are successful.
b. A base sequence contains a collection of jobs.
c. I have checked the options Add checkpoints so sequnce is..... and "Automatically handle activtities that fail." for all base level and master.
d. If one of the jobs in the base level sequences is aborted then the base level sequence and master sequence is also aborted. (This is what I expected)
e. After correcting the failed job, if I run the Master sequence it restarts but it resetting the aborted base level sequence. But my requirement is that base level sequence should also start from the failed job.
Thanks & Regards,

Zabi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Does it "reset then run" or simply "reset"? Is the reset successful? Find out from the job log of the previously aborted job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

For subsequence you can give the execution action as Run and for job you can give 'Reset if required and rerun'
For multiple job compile, you can use 'dscc' from client. Search for the same.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jreddy »

for multiple job compile from designer - goto Tools menu - option 'Multiple Job compile' - here you can select if you want to compile all server, parallel or sequencer jobs.. in the project
Zabeerulla
Participant

Post by Zabeerulla »

Kumar,

Reset if reqd then run for a job is not working.

Master_Seq :
BaseSeq1 ---(Executed Ok)---> BaseSeq2 -(Executed Ok)--> BaseSeq3

BaseSeq1:
Job1 ---(Executed Ok) ---> Job2 --(Executed Ok)-> Job3

If I run the Master_Seq, let us suppose Job2 has got failed then BaseSeq1 and Master_Seq are getting aborted.

Please advice on the following.
After correcting the error in Job2, if I rerun the Master_Seq then it should start from Job2 of BaseSeq1 and after that BaseSeq2.
Thanks & Regards,

Zabi
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You can add the check points in the sequence in order to have the restartibility from the point of abort.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Yes, if 'Add checkpoints so sequence is restartable on failure' is selected and if BaseSeq1 as execution mode as 'Run' and the jobs with 'Reset if required and rerun' should work.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I had the same problem.
Make sure you are not specifying the execution mode of the Base sequences as "reset if required then run". It should just be "Run". Because if you reset it, it looses it "checkpoints". Its similar to compilation. Also, make sure when one of your job fails, only the child job should be compiled and none of the sequences.
To summarize:
Master seq. --- > Execution Mode = Run
Base seq ------> Execution Mode = Run
Child Jobs -----> Execution Mode = Either 'Run' or 'Reset if required'

For my restartable sequences, i had 'Run' as the execution mode for all sequences and jobs.
I hope it helps.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
steele
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by steele »

This may be obvious but make sure you aren't resetting or recompiling the sequences. When the sequence is in abort/restartable status, you do not reset or recompile, just restart the sequence after fixing the failed job.