which algorithm uses the data stage for encrypt and decrypt

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sudhakar_viswa
Participant

which algorithm uses the data stage for encrypt and decrypt

Post by sudhakar_viswa »

Hi,

Which algoritham is used by data stage for encryption and decryption.
Actually we can select the encrypt option in job properties.Please reply soon.

Thanks,
sudhakar
i need to know datastage
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

DataStage itself doesn't encrypt or decrpyt data, it can call external routines which do so; and you can choose your preferred encoding.
sudhakar_viswa
Participant

Post by sudhakar_viswa »

Hi Arndw,

In job properties we can select the option as encrpted.So data stage displaying it as in astricks(*).I think by using some algorithm only it displaying like this.The scenario is i need to pass the parameter from unix.so i will run the job from unix.i will pass encrypted password as parameter.so data stage can decrypt that encrypted pass word and should do the further process.If it is not posiible tell me which thing i have to do.but i should pass the encrypted password .

thanks,
sudhakar
i need to know datastage
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I responded to your other thread. I thought you were talking about encrypting data, not the passwords. Passwords are a special case so that nobody can go through the log files and see cleartext passwords. The algorithm for DS password encryption is not published .
sudhakar_viswa
Participant

Post by sudhakar_viswa »

Hi arndw,

Thanks for your reply.I will give example.

a=abcd
b=xyz
c=jkl

dsjob -server {a} - user {b} -passwd {c}

c contains jkl.i don't want anybody can see what c contains.So,i will convert the c value into some encrypted form and i will store that into c.now i will pass this c to dsjob that means now i will execute

dsjob -server {a} - user {b} -passwd {c}

will this run? The c contains encrypted value. So, the data stage will decrypt the c value and will process?

thanks,
sudhakar
i need to know datastage
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No, it won't work that way. DataStage has no way of knowing that a parameter has been encoded and needs decoding prior to use. You might be able to use your own algorithm and decode the parameter within a sequence and then pass the cleartext to a password parameter (which encodes & hides its value).
sudhakar_viswa
Participant

Post by sudhakar_viswa »

Hi Arndw,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Thanks,
sudhakar
i need to know datastage