Sequential File error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

If the problem is with your AIX Unix OS, I cannot see how upgrading DS will help.

You either need to upgrade the OS or use different method in DataStage to avoid the file growing to 2Gb.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

AIX can support larger files than 2GB. Have your UNIX administrator adjust things. There's no need to upgrade DataStage; it won't help with this problem if AIX is still limited to 2GB files.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Squential File error

Post by yaminids »

Ray,

I asked the administrator to set the file limit to 'Unlimited' and he did. But when I checked ulimit -a from DataStage it still shows 2GB.

Are we doing something wrong? Are we supposed to set the file size (to Unlimited) somewhere else other than ulimit. (I mean in any of the .config files on the server)

Thank you
Yamini
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

You need to bounce the DataStage server for the change to be of effect.
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Squential File error

Post by yaminids »

Hi Sai,

Can you explain to me how to bounce the server? Do you mean 'Restarting' the DataStage Server?

Thank you very much for your help.
Yamini
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
TO the bounce the server i.e bring datastage down uisng following steps

1. Logon to the machine on which DataStage is installed.
2. su -dsadm (Sys admn)
3. enter password
4. go to directory DSEngine
5. Execute bin/uv/ - admin -stop
6. netstat -s | grep dsrpc (if anything comes datastage is not completlely shut down.

Ketfos
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Squential File error

Post by yaminids »

Thank you Ketfos

Yamini
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Ensure that the ulimit is set to unlimited just before starting datastage.
jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jreddy »

Hello Yamini,

Were you able to solve this error.. i am having same problem on our AIX server.. when i do a ulimit -a from unix prompt i see that the file size limit is UNLIMITED.. but when i ran the command from a DS job, as suggested in above posts.. i see the 2GB limit.. can someone explain what has to be done.. i understand i dont have to bounce server since the file size limit has been unlimited right from the beginning..

any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The ulimit setting for the user ID under which DataStage jobs run must be set to unlimited by the UNIX Sys Admin.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jreddy »

thanks Ray,

the ulimit has been set to unlimited for the user which is being used to run the DS job.. and when i mentioned that 'when i do a ulimit -a from unix prompt' i meant to say, that logging to unix with the same userid and executing the command ULIMIt...

I contacted Ascential about this and they suggested to make an entry for ulimit in the ds.rc file.. but we were wondering why this has to be done now.. just 2 weeks ago, (nothing has been changed since then on unix or ds for that user) we ran the jobs fine without any issues....
anntaylor
Participant

Post by anntaylor »

We are having a similar issue. We are going to change the kernel default config settigns. The Install and Upgrade manual suggests the kernel may need to be rebuilt. I'll let you know what we find.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

anntaylor wrote:We are having a similar issue. We are going to change the kernel default config settigns. The Install and Upgrade manual suggests the kernel may need to be rebuilt. I'll let you know what we find.
You don't need to rebuild the OS kernel for ulimit changes. Which manual were you referring to?
anntaylor
Participant

Post by anntaylor »

Arnd,
I'm referring to the Install and Upgrade pdf in DataStage Manual for 7.5 on pg 42.

From the manual:
If necessary,rebuild the kernel with changes to these parameters.For
more information on rebuilding the kernel,see the UNIX manuals
supplied with your system.

In the coming days I will be working with our Unix Admin to find out why ulimit -a from a DS job ExecSh is not returning the same values as the same user running ulimit -a from the command line. A contact at Ascential said the kernel defaults need to be changed. We'll see.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Was this "contact at Ascential" a technical person? You don't have to change anything in the UNIX kernel to change ulimit.