NLS and ? Problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

snassimr
Premium Member
Premium Member

NLS and ? Problem

Post by snassimr »

Hi !

My data content characters that DS cn resolve and these chars replaced by "?" and I see it . But really it doesnt "?" in tranformer I tries to find it with INDEX Basic function and returned 0 .

Does anybody have clue how to remove this chars before it inserted to db ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"?" represents a character that could not be mapped.

The correct way to get rid of it is to choose a map that correctly maps all the characters in your data.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
snassimr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snassimr »

I'll try . Does DS supply map to all strange symbols ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Different sets of characters are encoded according to different standards. For example, Chinese characters may be encoded according to standards called BIG5 or GB2312. There are many different standards for encoding Japanese characters. DataStage provides maps for most of the commonly-encountered standards; the DataStage NLS manual shows how you can build your own maps if your data are encoded according to a standard that is not already supported. What is vital is that you know how your data are encoded.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
snassimr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snassimr »

You say that there is no way to remove the symbol after the Ds assigned it to "?" ?

This symbol looks very strange. It doesn't looks like letter of any language. But I"ll try to map it

Thank You ! Ill return after some checking
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"?" is NOT the invalid character. "?" is a special Unicode character that DataStages uses when it can not convert the invalid character into Unicode (its own UTF-8 encoding of Unicode) based on your assertion of how the external character set is encoded.

You must determine precisely under what standard the external character set is encoded, and place the map for that character set's encoding between it and DataStage.

You may also need to specify a different, though related, character map between DataStage server and client, so that UNIX-to-Windows character set mapping might occur. These secondary maps have names ending in "-CS".