Can environment variables be copied into another project?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

olgc
Participant

Can environment variables be copied into another project?

Post by olgc »

Hi there,

Job parameters can be defined in Datastage Administrator with Project Properties\Environment Variables and used as job parameters in Datastage Designer. My problem is when these parameters are defined in a Datastage project, can they exported and imported into another project? Such as from development environment, to test environemt.

When a job uses the variable as job parameter and is exported and imported int another project, it can be compiled with the following error:

Environemt variable '$Src...' defined in job parameters but not defined in project.

Why there is no "Help Text" column in "Environment Variables"? This is not good at all, because when the variable is added to a job, do you have to type the Help Text again and again?

Another issue is "Environment Variables" in Administrator have only two datatypes: String and Encrypted, but much more in Designer, like Integer. Why that's the case?

Thanks,
datastagehunter
Participant

yes

Post by datastagehunter »

Hi
when you export and import the code using data stage manager along with code this environment variables come automatically, if you want to change some properties in variables you have to do it manually, in environment variables when you go to the user defined column you have to give the type whether it is string or encrypted, there should be a same in environment variables in designer and administrator, if it is not the case when you compile the jobs the job will be failed, and it gives message like this parameter was defined in job not in project, then you have to go admin and you have to give additional type integer in user defined column
Thanks
hi
i want to learn datastage which was use ful for emprove my skills
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: yes

Post by gateleys »

In fact, I did the search for you 8) . Here is the link which talks about env variables and DSParams file.
viewtopic.php?t=98847&highlight=env+export

gateleys
olgc
Participant

Post by olgc »

Thanks, it works.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Vincent will help you to konw about it more.
viewtopic.php?t=92038&highlight=dsparams.keep
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'