Importing ds components selectively through ds_importdsx

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

papan
Participant

Importing ds components selectively through ds_importdsx

Post by papan »

Hi
DSServer is configured on Win2003. I can export whole project thru command line using dscmdexport.exe, While importing I would like to import selective jobs/components from dsx. I couldnot selectively import by using dsimport and dscmdimport.exe. I issued dssh in ds ..\engine\bin.
Prompted me a msg like "This directory is not set up for datastage. Would you like to setit up(Y/N)?", I selected option of Y and 0 for ideal compatibility, then it took me into dssh shell, where I issued ds_importdsx <importfile.dsx> - job1 job2, I got the following error msg:Verb "DS_IMPORTDSX" is not in your VOC. Any help in selectively importing ds components thru command line will be appreciated.
Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Papan,

when you see the prompt that states the account is not setup for DataStage do not say "yes" - it will add the minimum number of hashed files to that UNIX directory to make a valid UV account but it does not create a valid project directory.

The question is how you logically got from using dscmdimport to executing the dssh program? The former is a client tool on the PC while the other is executed on the DS server. If you have a client and server on the same machine you need to be careful of where you execute which command.

As far as I know the dscmdimport program takes and imports the contents of a .dsx file without prompting for a selection.
papan
Participant

Post by papan »

[quote="ArndW"]Papan,

when you see the prompt that states the account is not setup for DataStage do not say "yes" - it will add the minimum number of hashed files to that UNIX directory to make a valid UV account but it does not create a valid project directory.

The question is how you logically got from using [b]dscmdimport [/b]to executing the [b]dssh [/b]program? The former is a client tool on the PC while the other is executed on the DS server. If you have a client and server on the same machine you need to be careful of where you execute which command.

As far as I know the dscmdimport program takes and imports the contents of a .dsx file without prompting for a selection.[/quote]

Hi Pal
True, dscmdimport is a client tool on PC, which can be used to import the contents of a .dsx file without prompting, where as dsimport which is other client tool which can be used to import the contents of .dsx with prompts to make selection (in theory). What you said is right, we must execute these commands with atmost care, thats the reason, I installed DS Client and Server in another dedicated machine meant for R & D. As per documentation on DSServer, executing ds_importdsx is one which helps in importing the contents of .dsx selectively. Bottomline is I need to import the .dsx contents selectively.

Appreciated your thought.

Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The DS_IMPORTDSX is a verb in the VOC file of an existing DataStage project. As far as I know this helper verb is not meant to be called by us and is not documented.
papan
Participant

I got it

Post by papan »

I got it, I was issuing the right commands in wrong place ie command prompt at the directory where these executables reside.
When I tried executing the same commands in DS Admin window, I got the results.

Thanks for your support and help..

//Papan