Fundamentals of Basics Routines

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Oh! Thats absolutely right. :( So, we will have have to deal with this kinda stuff more often unless the website developers come-up with an idea.

Thanks for letting me know Ken. I appreciate it.

Naveen.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
jdulaney
Charter Member
Charter Member

One last thing....

Post by jdulaney »

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere in the responses.

When I open a new project in Designer, by default, routines are not "shown" in the repository. To make them visible, right click on the repository and click on "Show Routines." Only has to be done once per client per project, I think (I'm the only developer around here!).
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

To learn Basic coding, your best place to start off with is the Basic Reference Manual. And joining Rays class would be worth it.
Good luck.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
jdulaney
Charter Member
Charter Member

Where to find Routines.

Post by jdulaney »

Oops - didn't realize this had run to 2 pages and I thought it didn't post :cry:

Jeanne
Last edited by jdulaney on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DSguru2B wrote:And joining Rays class would be worth it.
Good luck.
Which class is that?

There is an IBM class called Programming with DataStage BASIC that has not, as far as I am aware, been presented in more than three years.

(Am I allowed to advertise here?)

I do offer this kind of training, but it's on demand rather than regularly scheduled. There's a short form (one day, not many hands-on exercises) and a three or four day form (curriculum is flexible/negotiable) with plenty of hands-on.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: ADVERTISEMENT

Post by DSguru2B »

ray.wurlod wrote:We expect shortly to announce availability of a beginners' class in writing server routines. (This is already available from my personal business, we're working on offering it through DSXchange.)
What I should have mentioned is "The expected upcoming class"[ :wink: :P
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Download EtlStats from my tips page. It has lots of examples. Most of the jobs have nothing but job control so the syntax is the same as in a routine. The SDK that comes with DataStage has lots of examples. Ask when you see something you do not understand.
Mamu Kim