Errors exporting metadata with Reporting Assistant

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When you call your support provider, or if you search this forum, you will learn that Reporting Assistant was deprecated in version 5.2, and has not been developed since. So it does not handle job sequences, it does not handle parallel jobs, and it's quite likely it doesn't handle everything in plug-in stage types. "They" now expect you to use MetaStage as your reporting tool.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
anvi
Participant

Post by anvi »

Thank you Ray,
in fact I am using Metastage, but I don't like it very much and in order to overcome some of its limitations I was trying to import all metadata into a relational database.
I think that most people would agree that having the possibility of exporting metadata into a relational db is a very important requirement, but it seems that there is no way to do it in Datastage.
It would be nice if Reporting Assistant showed some meaningful error messages instead of just crashing, but at least now I know what's happening.

Andrea
Andrea Vincenzi
Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence Consultant
Via A. Cesalpino 17, 52100 Arezzo
www.olap.it
Tel. 347 3853617
andrea.vincenzi@tiscali.it
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I believe there are a couple of views on the MetaStage directory that can be used to get metadata out more easily than trying to query the underlying tables (which are complexly interrelated). Not working at a site with MetaStage this week, so can't tell you the names - check with your support provider.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
alisoviejo
Participant

Post by alisoviejo »

Hi Ray,
We do not have MetaStage, so is there no way I can get the job documentation or use the reporting assistant?

We are on DS 7.5.1.A EE.

Thanks,
ALISO
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

alisoviejo wrote:We do not have MetaStage, so is there no way I can get the job documentation or use the reporting assistant?

We are on DS 7.5.1.A EE.
Quite clearly answered by Ray. You will have to either purchase MetaStage or directly query the internal proprietary and undocumented internal repository and formulate your metadata that way.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you're on 7.5.x you can click on the Generate Report tool (second from the right) in the Designer toolbar. What exactly were you after?
alisoviejo
Participant

Post by alisoviejo »

All we are looking for is the job details like the stages and the sql in the source stages if we can get to it.

Thanks
ALISO
alisoviejo
Participant

Post by alisoviejo »

Hi Ray,
The option you have mentioned is sufficient for us now I believe, thanks for it, its a relief.
ALISO
anvi
Participant

Generate Report creates html, we need to export to a db

Post by anvi »

Ray,
I came back to this activity after a long stop. I have tried your suggestion (Generate Report), but it doesn't do what we want. We need to export metadata regarding jobs and table definitions to a db.
The Reporting Assistant tool does essentially the job, but it seems to have problems with large projects, and you said that it is obsolete, so we are stuck.

If somebody finds out another way to extract job metadata in a reliable way, please reply to this post

Andrea
Andrea Vincenzi
Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence Consultant
Via A. Cesalpino 17, 52100 Arezzo
www.olap.it
Tel. 347 3853617
andrea.vincenzi@tiscali.it
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

MetaStage
trojancjs
Participant

Just to let you know

Post by trojancjs »

To get a Reporting Assistant extract to work at our site, we had to remove the primary key constraint from the DSProperties table. You might try an export against an Access DB linked back to Oracle - if you don't have interest in the MetaStage route in its current release, give this a whirl.