Version Control project purge

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Version Control project purge

Post by chulett »

Been pondering something and wondering if anyone had tackled this yet. Our various Version Control projects have gotten rather... fat... and most of the information in them is well past its prime and no longer useful.

I know I can nuke them and start from scratch, but I really don't want to do that as all the versioning will restart at ^1_1. What I've been pondering is a way to remove all but the most recent entry for each object from each Project. This would allow it to be slimmed down but keep the most recent version and the current versioning major/minor numbers intact going forward.

There are five hashed files that control all the 'magic' behind the scenes:

APM.BATCH
APM.BATCH.MEMBERS
APM.VERSION
APM.VERSION.XREF
APM_BP

I've played around with a couple of them to generate SOX reports of promotions but never really 'broken the code' to know exactly how they all work together and how one would save off just the most recent version of everything without destroying it in the process. :wink:

So, curious... anyone ever done anything like that before? Got any pointers they'd be willing to share? Seems like it would be a nice little tool to have in one's magic bag o' tricks. 8)
Last edited by chulett on Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rleishman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rleishman »

Sorry Craig, as a skinflint member I only got the first 3 lines so I don't what the question was (if there was one).

If it's any help, we had VC-Bloat as well. Stupidly did a few bulk-initialize operations pretty early in development. Since then, lots of stuff moved, renamed and deleted.

I blew away the entire VERSION project and re-initialized from Prod. Initializes and Promotes now take about a third of the time.
Ross Leishman
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Contents of the extra hashed files in the VERSION project are, like most, not publicly documented. Haven't had time to hack those yet. Can't be all that difficult.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

rleishman wrote:Sorry Craig, as a skinflint member I only got the first 3 lines so I don't what the question was (if there was one).
Doh! Had no intention of marking that as PC... undone.

I'm specifically trying to avoid the situation you found yourself in post-nuke of the VC projects. Been there, done that. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Ray

All these files have dictionary items. I will post some more dictionary items to get the last version of a job. Craig can use this in a SQL DELETE to clean out what his does not want. I think this is very safe but I would back these files up at the OS level before running the DELETE.
Mamu Kim