Job Locked with associated PID = 0

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

patonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Job Locked with associated PID = 0

Post by patonp »

Yesterday evening a developer ran into a problem while in Designer. They can't remember the exact message, but it stated "Project not set up correctly..." or something like that. Designer subsequently terminated.

The developer then attempted to re-open the job in Designer, and predictably received the message "Job xyz is being accessed by another user". Apparently, the developer then ran the Cleanup Resources utility and attempted to remove the locks held against the job. However, the job still appeared to be locked.

This morning the developer approached me about the problem, and I ran the Cleanup Resources utility in an attempt to determine whether the job was still listed under the "Locks" section, and I am able to see the job. However, the PID associated with the lock has a value of 0.

I have three questions:

1. What would cause Designer to terminate with the type of error message listed above?

2. Can anyone tell me what a PID of 0 represents?

3. Most importantly - how we should proceed from here?

Thanks!

Peter
clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by clarcombe »

I believe that Cleanup resources is a pretty dangerous tool, thats why it has been taken out in future versions

In the DS Administrator under the Command option for the project run a LIST.READU command and check the PID

If you still see the PID of 0, you might want to try the following

UNLOCK USER 0 ALL

HTH
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

Certified IBM Infosphere Datastage Developer
patonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by patonp »

Using the LIST.READU command, the PID is blank.

Does a PID of 0 represent the System Idle Process? If so, what would be the implications of releasing this lock? Also, why would this process show up as maintaining a lock on the job?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

When a process aborts (with a core in UNIX) or someone did a "kill -9" on it it will show up in the lock tables with an associated pid of 0.

The simplest and best short- and longterm solution is to get your admin to start the DataStage deadlock daemon which will automatically clean up conditions like this. Playing with releasing locks manually can cause more damage than it might resolve.
patonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by patonp »

Sounds like a good solution.

Does this utility exist for a windows environment? If so, do you know where I can find information about it (i.e. how to start it, configuration etc)?

Thanks!

Peter
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Yes, it exists in all environments. There is a file called dsdlockd.config in your project directory, change the "start=0" line to read "start=1" and restart datastage (that's the simplest way to do this). I don't have a windows site available to me to see how to get this service started without bouncing the service but it might just be a matter of starting the service from the control panel.
mauherga
Participant

Post by mauherga »

I have a doubt with deadlock...

Some one has seen a message "ACCESS DENIED: Project currently locked. The project is currently locked by the Administrator."?? It can be related when the deadlock daemon run?

Recently I have my deadlock on and recently I have this error message, then I related that, is correct?

Thanks
maurik
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

maurik, this is a thread hijack - it has nothing to do with the original query. Please post it on a new thread (unless you feel like using the SEARCH facility first to see the numerous answers already given) :D
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can, but start a different thread to do it in.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Maurik - this site is very powerful because of the search facility. This works, in part, with the thread topics. "Thread hijacking" is when a completely unrelated question is posted to a thread, such as in this case. The thread title "Job Locked with associated PID=0" and your question regarding "ACCES DENIIED: project currently locked" have nothing to do with each other, so it would foil the search mechanism.

In addition to posting to an existing thread you asked a relatively common question.
So, to be quite blunt, since you didn't spend your time in trying to find an answer using the forum's facilities before posting your question I didn't waste my time in giving you an answer.
patonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by patonp »

Thanks for the answers, folks. As always, I appreciate the informed advice!