Maximum export size for a DSX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Colin,

I've been working with this product since before it went out as Version 0.0beta and don't know what sort of an error on DSX import you are talking about, either. Please post the error message(s).

If these firewalled PCs have USB ports, I would recommend getting a USB stick as big as possible, plugging it in and changing your swap device to use the USB device first - assuming you can get local admin rights. I've done that before because of restrictive security.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

whole bunch of constraint errors
There are no job-routine-transform-table definition constraints in the Server product. We really need to know your error messages on import, but your efforts are really wasted. I'll let the others chip in to back me up on this. You can import objects in any order, there's no interdependencies.

You can see this because exporting allows you to add to an existing dsx file any object type in any order. It always works. The only issue would be the impact analysis checking during import, which you should turn off anyway because it greatly slows down an import.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by clarcombe »

I've been working with this product since before it went out as Version 0.0beta and don't know what sort of an error on DSX import you are talking about, either. Please post the error message(s).

I have asked the developer to recreate the error and will post when I get them.

If these firewalled PCs have USB ports, I would recommend getting a USB stick as big as possible, plugging it in and changing your swap device to use the USB device first - assuming you can get local admin rights. I've done that before because of restrictive security.

NOW THAT IS A REALLY COOL IDEA. Why didnt I think of that. :roll:
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

Certified IBM Infosphere Datastage Developer
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I don't know if the USB 2.0 speed is going to be much better than a disk drive, though. I've done it where I needed space more than speed. But it is a bit like a RAM drive of olden days.

{updated} The USB 2.0 can transfer at 480Mb/S whereas the ATA drives only do about 33/66/100/133 depend upon which bus and which drives you have.
clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by clarcombe »

It turns out that the project was corrupted and thus when it was imported it never completed.

We created a new project and imported the 75mb file in 30 mins. The memory on the PC remained the same.

However, I will still investigate breaking down the dsx just to find out what was causing the original errors and I will still post them when I see them
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by clarcombe »

Obviously now I doubt that this is a problem due to the splitting of the DSXs but here it is anyway

Line 302922 : Unknown property name 'BEGIN'.
Object Saved=Saved\intermed4\intermed4
Class=CMetatable.
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Colin,

that looks like a parsing problem in the DSX file layout; it uses a structured format akin to what xml does, and the "BEGIN" tag was seen where no prior "END {label}" tag close off the previous object. Doesn't seem to relate to the object itself. Is this error in a split .DSX file or the complete one?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Also may be due to missing keywords such as DSJOB or DSSUBRECORD or DSRECORD or HEADER or DSROUTINE or DSSCRIP or DSEXECJOB next to BEGIN.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by clarcombe »

that looks like a parsing problem in the DSX file layout; it uses a structured format akin to what xml does, and the "BEGIN" tag was seen where no prior "END {label}" tag close off the previous object. Doesn't seem to relate to the object itself. Is this error in a split .DSX file or the complete one?

It is in the split one, although, it was split using Manager not manually, so I don't see why the end tag should have been lost.

Surely if you move any object around, it should keep the Begin and End tags ?
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Can you paste lines 302915-302930 of your dsx file? Also, is this a file from before or after the project was repaired?
clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by clarcombe »

I have finally got the dsx files out of clearcase and I have looked at the line in question. It seems that all of the DSXs are corrupt.

I have re-exported the DSX files and am now trying to find the DS administrator (person) so he can create a new test project for me.
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Offer beer.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by clarcombe »

Beer, of course, can be applied as a lubricant for most internal IT combustion engines.

However, lubrication only works if you can actually get hold of a person to lubricate :?

The said person has (thankfully) done his duty (teetotal too). I have imported the 3 new dsxes (two in parallel) and I saw no errors. The developer is now re-running some tests to ensure the import worked correctly.

One question that has arisen is the way existing projects are cleared down in order to be re-imported with the new version.

The production team (having no DS admin rights) choose to delete all the jobs via Manager before importing. I suggested they get the rights so that they can delete the project and recreate it as it would be quicker and cleaner.

1) Is it as clean to delete the jobs as to delete and recreate the project ?
2) If I get them to reimport the dsx, will it import more quickly (and is it sensible) to switch of the Perform Usage analysis

Thanks
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

It's cleaner to just create a new project for each major release. Just make the project name a variable in any scripts that initiate jobstreams, so that you can "version" releases in new projects. Best practice tip 8)
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
parag.s.27
Participant

Post by parag.s.27 »

Hi,

Hey i don't understand how the data stage causing this i having 12 projects of 110 to 223 MB each and we are connecting to the client portal in UK from India and access the datastage from here through CITRIX. We take daily backups of all projects through CITRIX. But we never faced any problem.
Thanks & Regards
Parag Saundattikar
Certified for Infosphere DataStage v8.0