Number of processors in SMP System

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ravij
Premium Member
Premium Member

Number of processors in SMP System

Post by ravij »

Hi,

I would like to know how many processors will be in a Single CPU SMP system and 2 CPU SMP system? Is there any constraint to use only these many processors should be used in SMP systems?

Could anybody give some brief description about these?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
Ravi
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

ravij,

I am assuming you mean "processes", since a processor is synonymous with a CPU.

The number of processes is affect by many factors and there is no single answer. You can have hundreds of processes running if they are not active and don't use too much memory and still have an acceptable performance. But you can kill a system with just a couple of processes that do use a lot of memory and CPU.

It's like asking "how many people fit into a 20x20 room". It depends - if they are pygmies or children or sumo wrestlers. Are they standing, sitting or practicing with live swords?
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Nice analogy ArndW! Best way to explain anything.

Regards,
Naveen.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
arbert
Participant

Post by arbert »

ArndW wrote:ravij,

I am assuming you mean "processes", since a processor is synonymous with a CPU.

The number of processes is affect by many factors and there is no single answer. You can have hundreds of processes running if they are not active and don't use too much memory and still have an acceptable performance. But you can kill a system with just a couple of processes that do use a lot of memory and CPU.

It's like asking "how many people fit into a 20x20 room". It depends - if they are pygmies or children or sumo wrestlers. Are they standing, sitting or practicing with live swords?
I don't think you can assume that a processor is synonymous with a CPU any more. Virtual processors, hyperthreaded processors, logical processors.....etc
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

arbert - even though the hardware layer has become more complex, in terms of the original question the answer remains the same regardless.

The relationship between a physical processor and any virtual layers (be it a VMWARE or even PX node list, or a hyperthreaded machine or even a multicore single CPU) cannot be answered without knowing a lot more about the topology.

{Modified}
Arbert - I've been thinking about the true impact of hyperthreading on the new intel chips on DS jobs. I think this is similar to some of the microcoding work done at chip level on older (mainframe/supermini) systems; it might allow PX configurations to assume that one hyperthreaded processor could be viewed as 2 when it comes to computing processing nodes; since it truly does make use of parallelism within the chip itself! Good point!