Re-Organizing DataStage jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mkeevil
Participant

Re-Organizing DataStage jobs

Post by mkeevil »

We are trying to clean up our datastage env, currently there are over 1000 jobs and we are looking to mass change all the jobs. If we create a new structure tree anyone know a way of moving the objects without having to re-compile them. Our though was to change the Category tag in each job, has anyone tried this?
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

You could probably try editing the '.dsx' file to change the category of the jobs by doing a 'find and replace'

Thanks,
Naveen.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Simply moving them from one Category to another won't cause them to need to be recompiled. Renaming them will, but not moving them.

If you use Version Control, things there will get a little... confusing, but not something you can't handle I'm sure.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Craig,

As a token of our appreciation, we hope you will enjoy the two thermonuclear missiles we've just sent to converge with your craft. To ensure ongoing quality of service, your death may be monitored for training purposes. Thank you.

That is so funny :lol: :D :lol:
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I would use DataStage Manager. It is easier to move things around. Otherwise you can use a SQL update on DS_JOBS.
Mamu Kim
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

I agree with Kim doing it in Manager is easier. Also you can do that using designer....Or another way is to right click the job in designer and select the properties. Inside that you can go to Category tab and type your new category.....
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
mkeevil
Participant

Post by mkeevil »

Manually changing over a 1000 jobs and subjobs is not the way I want to go...
rasi wrote:I agree with Kim doing it in Manager is easier. Also you can do that using designer....Or another way is to right click the job in designer and select the properties. Inside that you can go to Category tab and type your new category.....
mauherga
Participant

Post by mauherga »

Hi everybody,

Does any one knows if DS have a limit with the number of jobs/sequences in one project? Are a limit of projects in DS? Any recomendation to handle a maximum?

I understand that DS keep information about projects individualy in different directories of my S.O. so... DS manage individualy the jobs per project? Whats happened with the universe? There is only one? The universe share its resources with all the projects?

Thanks in advance.
maurik
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You can define projects to your heart's contents. Each project is in a directory tree, and since many UNIX implementations limit the number of directories to 32Kb, since each job creates (by default) 4 sub-directories (RT_LOG<n>, RT_STATUS<n>, RT_CONFIG<n>, DS_TEMP<n> and also a potential RT_BP<n> and RT_BP<n>.O that leaves about 5,350 after subtracting a handful for other DS files.

There is no "the universe" with DataStage, there is the old UniVerse engine, but that doesn't directly impose any limitations.

I just realized that this is a bit of thread hijacking, since the question doesn't directly apply to the thread.