CPI-C Initialization Failure

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Bryan.Tan
Participant

CPI-C Initialization Failure

Post by Bryan.Tan »

Hi Guys,
I had an error when trying to perform an SAP Extraction using the ABAP Extract.

"CPI-C Initialization Failure"

I did a "Validate Stage" in the DS Designer, the (SAP Logon, CPI-C User and RFC Version check) was ok.
Any idea if the installation of SAP Extract PACK v5.1 would help? Currently it's running on SAP Extract PACK 5.0

I've noticed some of the forum posted here mentioned that the ports not from the DS Server is not Opened.

Kindly advice what would be the best possible solution.

Thanks.
Last edited by Bryan.Tan on Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
kwwilliams
Participant

Re: CPI-C Initialization Failure

Post by kwwilliams »

Just curious if this is a new extract or one that has been running and now won't run any longer?

CPI-C is the communication method that is used. The initialization actually takes place in ABAP.

CPIC In ABAP

Might be helpful. You are probably going to have to talk to your basis team to nail down the exact cause of the failure. With all of the variables in place (SAP configuration, SAP security, SAP..., DataStage setup, SAP Stage) this would be pretty difficult to troubleshoot. But I believe the code you would actually throw the error on would be

COMMUNICATION ACCEPT ID COM_ID.

Hope that helps,
Bryan.Tan
Participant

Post by Bryan.Tan »

Hi Keith,
We actually have another Datastage project running on another server (which was working perfectly fine).

Yes. It was a new extract that we've imported from the previous server. The error struck us when we're setting up the same enviroment in the new server. All the SAP Logon and CPI-C settings were similar. So I was wondering if it was caused by any other Patch or upgrade that we need to perform (e.g. ABAP Extract PACK V5.1) or otherwise.
kwwilliams
Participant

Post by kwwilliams »

"All the SAP Logon and CPI-C settings were similar"

Similar or the same? What is different from one server to another server.

Other question, is this exsting ABAP or new ABAP (you stated that it is new extracted from a previous server, but I want to make sure I understand what you meant). Connecting to the same app server, client, using the same user name. The CPIC initialization occurs in ABAP, which still makes me think this is something on that side, but I have been wrong before.
Bryan.Tan
Participant

Post by Bryan.Tan »

Here's the scenario:
Currently, we've performing a migration from Server A (WinNT4) to a new Server B (Win2000).
Server B was newly setup. All the application were newly installed (Datastage)

A Project Export has been done from Server A to Server B. I've checked all the settings in Server B to be same with Server A.
All the settings (SAP Logon / CPI-C ) are the same between Server A and B.
It works perfectly fine in Server A, but what went wrong with the newly setup Server B that contains the exactly same settings with Server A.

SAP Server version that we're extracting the data from is ver 3.1I.

Appreciate your advice.
Bryan.Tan
Participant

Post by Bryan.Tan »

Hi Keith,
Finally got it figure out what happened to the issue here.

Root Cause: The SAP Dispatch/Gateway services configuration file found in the C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc was not updated. The file contains information of the SAP ports that are supposed to be connecting Datastage server with the SAP system.
Apparently, if the SAP GUI was not installed on the DataStage server, the configuration file was not updated, hence there is a communication error between those two servers (Windows and SAP).
I've added the configuration manually based on the "Importing the RFC and Authorization Profile" found in the dsr3.pdf

Thanks.