automatic reset of an aborted job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

automatic reset of an aborted job

Post by kris007 »

Hi All,

I would like to know if we can reset an aborted job(not manually) in a job sequence or Job Control. What I would like to achieve is, if one of my jobs in the Job sequence fails, I want that job to be reset again and start(try) running rather than me going and resetting the job manually. If there's a way around, any guidance would be great.

Thanks in advance
:?
Kris.
kwwilliams
Participant

Re: automatic reset of an aborted job

Post by kwwilliams »

One of the properties is execution action, set it to reset if required and then run.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi
Search for Check Point restart. You can also find it documented. The check option available in job property. If this ain't enabled, whenever you rerun the sequence, you would end up run all the job from the scratch. Also Include 'Reset if required and Rerun' so that you can restart from the point where it got aborted.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
gbusson
Participant

Post by gbusson »

in a job control : the DSPrepareJob command is equivalent to the Reset if requierd and run of the job sequence.
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Thanks a lot for the inputs guys. With that said, will I be able to control the number of times the job can be reset before it sends a final job failure message.

Kris
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

HI Kris,
Could you just explain your requirement. It seems you need a job to be reset and rerun automatically before it splits out the abort message?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Hi Kumar,

My requirement is, If any of my jobs in the Job Sequence fail, I want that job to restart(reset and rerun) by itself automatically for 'n' number of times (1<n<10) before it gives up on restarting and then send an abort message or failure notification. I was wondering if anyone could guide me on those lines, if its possible.

Thanks
Kris.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

I guess it may not be easy using Job Sequence. But you can achieve the same using the shell through which the sequece can be called. Just frame a loop for 10 times and check for RC. If it passes call the next sequence where the Email notification present else rerun the sequence. Pass the status of the Sequence to the next sequence.