Empty spaces in OCI Target table

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Empty spaces in OCI Target table

Post by kris007 »

Hi all,

I have created a simple job that reads data from the source table through ODBC stage and writes it to an Oracle target table( I am using a OCI stage) through a transformer. The only transformation I do in the transformer is to find out if there are any empty spaces in the source table and write them as NULL into my target table. The job finishes succesfully, however, I still can see some empty spaces in my target table instead of NULL values. Did anyone come across this kind of issue? Any sort of help would be great.

Additional Info:(thought this mite help)
The data in the source table consists of rows containing data, empty spaces and NULL values. Now, when I pull this data into an ODBC stage, the NULL values come in as empty spaces. So, in my ODBC stage I have rows containing data and empty spaces. But in Target table, only those rows are written as NULL which are empty in source table, and the rows which contain null values in the source are written to target as empty spaces. Please let me know if I am not clear so that I could explain it again in a more detailed way.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Hi Kris,

You can write the target column derivation as:

Code: Select all

If

Len(Trim(Outlink.Col)) = 0 or Outlink.Col = ''

Then

''

Else 

OutLink.Col = InLink.Col

Note: '' is for NULL, meaning there is no space between the quotes.

Let me know if it worked.

Thanks,
Naveen.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

naveendronavalli wrote:Hi Kris,

You can write the target column derivation as:

If

Len(Trim(Outlink.Col)) = 0 or Outlink.Col = ''

Then

''

Else 

OutLink.Col = InLink.Col

Note: '' is for NULL, meaning there is no space between the quotes.

Let me know if it worked.

Thanks,
Naveen.
I afraid NULL is quite different from '' Empty string. :roll:
@NULL can be used rather.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Hi Naveen,

Thanks for that.
It worked fine for columns whose datatype is varchar2 but didnt work for column whose datatype is number. Am I missing something out over here.
please let me know. And as Kumar mentioned..NULL is different from empty string. But I need NULL at my ouput..so I used 'NULL' instead of ''.

Thanks guys
-Kris
:)
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Hi kumar,

Thanks for correcting me. I should have double-checked.
Yes. Empty String <> NULL :)

In Fact the code should be:

If 

Len(Trim(Outlink.Col)) = 0 or Outlink.Col = @NULL 

Then 

@NULL 

Else 

OutLink.Col = InLink.Col 

Sorry! Kris. I hope you corrected it.

Many Thanks,
Naveen.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
MTA
Participant

Post by MTA »

Naveen is there a difference between Outlink.Col = '' and Outlink.Col = ""
please note the difference in cotes
M.T.Anwer
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect he becomes an adolescent;
the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
-Aiden Nowlan
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

MTA wrote:Naveen is there a difference between Outlink.Col = '' and Outlink.Col = ""
please note the difference in cotes
:roll:
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

I have corrected it Naveen. Thanks. But as I mentioned, My problem still continues with the rows for the column whose datatype is number. Is there a way out for that. I seem to miss it. I am still waiting....

Kris :?:
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi Kris,
Datastage converts Null to 0s. [(0x00) as Integer 0]
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

MTA,

There is no difference between '' and "". Both are the same.
But it is quotes and not cotes.

thanks,
Naveen.
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Issue solved.

Post by kris007 »

I got my issue solved. I declared the datatype as a number in the target table and was trying to write "NULL" if its an empty string. And hence the job was getting aborted because the table is reading "NULL" as an invalid number. I can't believe I missed that. Thanks once again guys.
:D
Kris