Sequencer fails.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sequencer fails.

Post by DeepakCorning »

I have a very simple sequencer which calls a routine and then passes the number generated by the routine to the server job. The number generated from the routine is just a counter and does not have a complex logic. But whenever i try to run this its giving me a error -->

..JobControl (@GetNextBatchNumber): Controller problem: Unhandled failure (4) encountered calling routine DSU.GetNextBatchNumber

Each time I run the job the Unhandled failure (4) number increases by one. Also if i try to run the routine manually i am able to get correct result.
Any suggestions?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A Sequencer cannot fail. An "any" sequencer fires its output(s) when any of its inputs has fired; an "all" sequencer fires its output(s) when all of its inputs have fired.

Your problem seems to be with a job sequence detecting a failure in one of your rouines (GetNextBatchNumber). I presume you are calling this with a Routine activity, but the trigger from the activity requires that it return 0 (for success). Change the trigger so that it does not handle non-zero return value as a failure code. Search the forum for examples.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

I guess I misguided you by saying Sequencer. I was talkign about Sequencer Job and not the stage. the sequencer Job has only two stages - The routine activity and the job call.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Hi Deepak,

It is called a "Sequence" job and never a "sequencer" job.

That is what Ray has been trying to convey to you and all others from a long period of time.

Many Thanks,
Naveen.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Try create a additional link from the Routine Activity with Failed(Conditional) Trigger and pass this dummy link to a Sequence Condition All. The project now I am working on had the same problem before and it is now a standard to have this dummy link created whenever we use routine activity. For some reason when a routine fails to execute then it does expects this dummy link to handle failure on routine activity.
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Better to use an 'Otherwise' trigger... and make sure you set the Sequencer to Any not All. :wink:

The reason why this is needed is well documented in the help available either online or in the pdf documents on your client pc.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
anujgarg
Participant

Re: Sequencer fails.

Post by anujgarg »

Hi Deepak,

First , you have to handle failure of routine also in sequencer and another thing may be that you are returning the number through routine.while you are using the routine in sequencer.it is like before/after stage routine so in that case your answer for routine must be 1 or -1 or 0.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Change the trigger so that it does not handle non-zero return value as a failure code. Search the forum for examples.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bgs_vb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bgs_vb »

Hi Deepak,

Is this one related to loading of PS data to PS EPM db?

Vindy