LONG DataType

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chowdary
Participant

LONG DataType

Post by chowdary »

Hi,

I have a table in the Oracle Database which as Three coloumns with metadata as

DOCUMENT_ID NUMBER 14
PAGE_NUM NUMBER 14
CONTENTS LONG

I want to dupe this data into a Sequnetial File, While i imported the Metadata through Manager and try to view the data in the Designer, it is not showing the data, So can any one know how to handle a coloumn in the DataStage which has datatype LONG in the Database.

Please throw some inputs.

Thanks
Chowdary.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Try to set the data type to VARCHAR and the width of the column to 4000. DS does not support CLOBS, so you'll have to fool the stage and see if it will bind using VARCHAR. If it does (I don't know your Oracle release or DS version) then you will be okay to pull upto 4000 chars from the column. Try upping the 4000 to the maximum you can get without error messages. Worst case, you'll have to spool the data using sqlplus and a query.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chowdary
Participant

Post by chowdary »

kcbland wrote:Try to set the data type to VARCHAR and the width of the column to 4000. DS does not support CLOBS, so you'll have to fool the stage and see if it will bind using VARCHAR. If it does (I don't know your Oracle release or DS version) then you will be okay to pull upto 4000 chars from the column. Try upping the 4000 to the maximum you can get without error messages. Worst case, you'll have to spool the data using sqlplus and a query.
Thanks for the reply, I will give a shot for what you have suggested, for you info my database is Oracle 9i and DS is 7.5.

Thank you very much
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If using ODBC stage you may need to increase MAXFETCHBUFF beyond its default of 8192 bytes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.