Display of Arabic Characters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

raj_konig
Participant

Display of Arabic Characters

Post by raj_konig »

Folks,

I am trying to insert data from access to a database table. I am calling this Access file using ODBC stage. All goes fine expect with one column which contains Arabic data. This is been displayed as junk data.

When I try to laod the same from a flat file i am able to do by changing my NLS to 'Unicode'.(for this I am getting the text itself in Unicode)

I tried with all the avialbale NLS for odbc stage. But invain.

Plzz one help me out.

Thanks in advance
rajesh
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

At a worts case, Access can be written into a sequential file and read again with the NLS setting. Lets wait till an experts comment.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
raj_konig
Participant

Post by raj_konig »

This too cannt be done directly.

I need to MANUALLY export data from access to Excel and from Excel I need to re-export tht to text file. Then I can use this file in order to get the Arabic data. But this is a huge process as i do have lots of Access files and in each i have more than 1 lac of records. And excel at a time accepts only 65K reocrds. For this i need to split my file. This consumes hell of time.
i am trying to load directly from Access.

I also tried laoding into a text file first and then into the database. Even this is not working. In this process even the sequential file is not capturing Arabic Data.

thanks,
rajesh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That suggests one of two things - either it's not Arabic, or you do not know how it is encoded. You definitely do need to know that. Then, once the encoding is known, you will probably need to build that NLS map for DataStage (done from the NLS button in the Administrator client) and use it either for reading the text file, or for reading directly from Access using ODBC.

Be aware that sorting Arabic characters can take up to five passes through the data - it may make your DataStage processing seem very slow, but it's just how things are. Avoid sorting these data as much as possible.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sunoj
Participant

Re: Display of Arabic Characters

Post by Sunoj »

Rajesh,

Check your Datastage Server Installation NLS setting and Microsoft access deafult NLS setting.
Both should be same inorder for you to have proper arabic display.

Best Regards

Sunoj Thomas

raj_konig wrote:Folks,

I am trying to insert data from access to a database table. I am calling this Access file using ODBC stage. All goes fine expect with one column which contains Arabic data. This is been displayed as junk data.

When I try to laod the same from a flat file i am able to do by changing my NLS to 'Unicode'.(for this I am getting the text itself in Unicode)

I tried with all the avialbale NLS for odbc stage. But invain.

Plzz one help me out.

Thanks in advance
rajesh
Sunoj Thomas
ARAB NATIONAL BANK-HEAD OFFICE
Annex Building IInd Floor(BSD)
P.O BOX 56921
RIYADH -11564
Mob:00966-502573856
Office:00966-1-4029000X4294
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You should probably use code page 1256 at least for this column, if not for the entire project.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.