dsrpcd not running

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SonShe
Premium Member
Premium Member

dsrpcd not running

Post by SonShe »

I was not able to login to designer/director/manager though I could login to the unix server with telnet. I got the message:

Failed to connect to host: <...> project UV.The connection was refused or the RPC daemon is not running (81016)).

I checked the dsrpcd was in fact not running. I used the command ps -ef | grep dsrpc. Later I tried with IP Address:31538 (For example, 10.10.2.123:31538). Now I can log in. The dsrpcd is not running. Please help me understand what is going on here. I thought the dsrpcd must run to allow connection from the clients. Then how am I able to login now?

Thanks.
SonShe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SonShe »

Please read the port number as 31539, not 31538. I think I know the answer to my question.
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

If you don't bring DataStage Engine down properly such as users still logged in or running/orphaned PIDs then you get this behavior.

If DataStage comes up successfully and you get this error. Do a netstat -a | grep ds and the RPC daemon port should say LISTEN and if it doesn't then the port is grabbed by something else.

Eventually the port times out and the RPC Daemon jumps in and is able to successfully LISTEN on the port.

Install the Deadlock Daemon and its a help but bringing DataStage down properly is the only way to avoid.
SonShe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SonShe »

Thanks for the reply. I am still not clear how can I make login even when the dsrpcd is not running. I thoght datastage uses port 31538 always. So how could I login by just appending the different port number (31539) to the IP address.

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

telnet is a UNIX service, and uses port number 23

(On Windows telnet is a DataStage service, but still uses port number 23.)

So you can connect from a telnet client even if dsrpcd is not running.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.