Multiple db2 versions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MTA
Participant

Multiple db2 versions

Post by MTA »

Comments needed:
I am having problem connecting to db2 on a remote Aix box.
We have two instances of the db2 V7.1(mainframe) AND V8.2 ( unix Aix) . Datastage is on solaris. db2 client for 8.2 is installed and is cataloged and the connection to database v8.2 is perfect when tested through command line.
In the dsenv db2dir, db2 instance and insthome if are pointed to V7.1 i am able to connect to db2 v7.1 from datastae API stage and If I point the db2dir, db2 instance and insthome to DB2 v8.2 Then I am able to connect to DB2V8.2. Is there a way of having only one dsenv and able to connect to both db2 versions. ( I have both server an dparallel jobs)
M.T.Anwer
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect he becomes an adolescent;
the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
-Aiden Nowlan
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Your db2 Administrator can solve the problem, they have to catalogue it. It is no easy task. We had the same problem and there was some try and error but finaly they succeeded. If they are ready you can test it on the unix command line. If it works DataStage will work also.
Wolfgang Hürter
Amsterdam
MTA
Participant

Post by MTA »

Womawil: The database is cataloged as I mentioned. And we are able to connect to database via the command line. there is no issues with db2 cataloging and still it does not connect unless we change the dsenv to point to the db2 v8.2( doing this we would not be able to connect to db2 v7.1:
Another way of doing this: I know and have tested successfully to connect to the database only if I remove the DB2 PARAMETERS AND LD_LIBRARY_PATH from dsenv and having them at the DS project level. This woks fine.
Issue:
My problem is how will I be able to connect to both versions with out having to hard code it at th eproject level.
M.T.Anwer
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect he becomes an adolescent;
the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
-Aiden Nowlan
bmadhav
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bmadhav »

U can ask ur DBAs to set up a federated database which will have version 8.2 pointing to the version 7.1.
DataStage can talk to the DB2 mainframe(v7.1) thru the federated database link set up on the AIX machine.
This way, u can have datastage pointing to version 8.2 all talk to 2 diff versions of DB2.
MTA
Participant

Post by MTA »

FYI: Why I do not want to use Db2 varialbles at project level is that the view data tab wont work and also importing metadat is not possible as it needs db2 entries in DSENV file
M.T.Anwer
-Aiden Nowlan
MTA
Participant

Post by MTA »

Thank you madhav. The solution you are proposing is very interesting I will defenatly ask my DBA to try this.
M.T.Anwer
-Aiden Nowlan