usage analysis of hash file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vinodhraj
Participant

usage analysis of hash file

Post by vinodhraj »

Hi DS Gurus,

I have hash files outside the repository. How I can do usage analysis ?

Thanks

Vinod
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The analysis tools require that a file has a local VOC entry. You can use the "SETFILE /path/to/your/file DUMMYFILENAME" and then a "ANALYZE.FILE DUMMYFILENAME" to do this.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I think Vinod means a Usage Analysis such as is done in Manager, rather than an ANALYZE.FILE.
That said, the answer is that you must still SETFILE, and import the file definition. Alternately you can Save the hashed file definition from your job design and import it everywhere else it's needed.
Usage Analysis relies totally on a disciplined approach having been followed to making sure that the linkage between table definitions in the Repository continues to be preserved in job designs - that is, that you don't modify table definitions in job designs except via the import process.
If you've done that properly, then Usage Analysis will work.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ray, your interpretation of the question makes a lot more sense. I've started using usage analysis extensively and love that functionality -- but it does require using the metadata for tables and files otherwise it does fall apart. But when it works it makes development and change tracking so much easier!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard! :wink:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.