Reg DS_Audit

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

raj_konig
Participant

Reg DS_Audit

Post by raj_konig »

Folks,

I am accessing DS_Audit from DS Command prompt.

IS there any way I can access this thru a mapping.

I tried using Unierse plugin with "localluv" as DSN but i couldnt see any of the tables.

Help me out

rajesh
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The repository table names are filtered out from the standard ODBC and direct hashed file view. You can type in the name explicitly to access the table.
raj_konig
Participant

Post by raj_konig »

Yes arndW i did that too.

With "localluv" as DSN i typed "DS_Audit" in 'Name contains' tab and clicked OK.

yet it resulted "No Match Found"

rajesh
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Since the names are explicitly filtered out, you cannot use the Manager to load the column metadata using either the UniVerse Table or UniVerse hashed file tabs. You will have to manually enter the metadata. But the hashed file as well as the Table view can be read. Just remember the standard caveat - "Life as we know it might cease to exist on this planet if you write to or modify contents of any DataStage repository file"
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

ArndW wrote:"Life as we know it might cease to exist on this planet if you write to or modify contents of any DataStage repository file"
Worth flashing in Home Page.
I guess that is the reason UV stages are restricted in Parallel Edition.

-Kumar
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You have to trick it. You have to create a q-pointer to access a repository table. This means you need to learn more about Universe. A q-pointer is a Universe equivalent of a synonym. It is a VOC entry.

at TCL:

ED VOC Q_DS_AUDIT
1: Q
2:
3: DS_AUDIT

Should look like above. Once you have a q-pointer then you can use it in a job but only in a UV stage. You should only read these tables and never write to them. This is a good way to create your own metadata. There are examples of jobs doing this in EtlStats.
Mamu Kim
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

kduke wrote:You have to trick it. You have to create a q-pointer to access a repository table. This means you need to learn more about Universe. A q-pointer is a Universe equivalent of a synonym. It is a VOC entry.

at TCL:

ED VOC Q_DS_AUDIT
1: Q
2:
3: DS_AUDIT

Should look like above. Once you have a q-pointer then you can use it in a job but only in a UV stage. You should only read these tables and never write to them. This is a good way to create your own metadata. There are examples of jobs doing this in EtlStats.
Hi Kim,

When i try to give Q as the first parameter it goes back to command prompt

Code: Select all

>ED VOC Q_DS_AUDIT
New record.

----: Q
>
May i know how can i give the rest of the option .

-Kumar
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

ED is a line editor. You have to learn this editor's commands. You can also use SETFILE.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ED is a line editor and a really good way to hork things up if you don't know what you are doing. In the words of the immortal Pink Floyd: Careful with that Axe, Eugene. :wink:

Of course, it was an instrumental song, so no words - but I digress...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Exactly, there are no shortcuts for learning this properly. If I make a mistake at this level then I know how to fix it. You better do full exports before playing around at this level.
Mamu Kim
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
I already have one screwed up project.
Operation on a live body may be dangerous for a new doctor, but not a postmortem over a dead body. :wink:

So i wish someone could shed some light on ED

-Kumar
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You could use vi if you are on UNIX. UV.VI instead of ED.

ED has help. Just type HELP or ?. It is like any line editor. Use I to insert until you type a blank line.

C/KIM/KEN/99

Will change the first KIM on a line to KEN on the next 99 lines.

EX

Will exit.

FI

Will FILE or save your record.

T

Will go to the top line.

P

Will print a page of lines to the screen.

What else do you need?
Mamu Kim
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Entering "I" in edit mode will switch you into input mode, and entering a <CR> on an empty input line will switch you back into edit mode.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This is going to be a very long, very slow way to learn ED, one command per post at a time. Why not download the UniVerse manuals from IBM website (track down manuals on line for version 9.6) and learn from those?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ray.wurlod wrote:This is going to be a very long, very slow way to learn ED, one command per post at a time.
:lol:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers