copying hash file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

htrisakti3
Charter Member
Charter Member

copying hash file

Post by htrisakti3 »

I need to copy hash files from one environment to another. I ftp'd the files: h_hashname & its directory, but when I tried to view data, it wouldn't open.

Thanks much for your help..
sanjay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: copying hash file

Post by sanjay »

Hello
u can't copy that way . u need write a job which will copy into sequential file and in u new environment 1 more job to copy back to hash file from sequential file.

Sanjay
htrisakti3 wrote:I need to copy hash files from one environment to another. I ftp'd the files: h_hashname & its directory, but when I tried to view data, it wouldn't open.

Thanks much for your help..
htrisakti3
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by htrisakti3 »

Unfortunately, these 2 environments are completely disconnected.

I need to copy the hash files from PROD which is secured, I am unable to even create jobs there. File systems is also secured which is off-limit for me.

I need to get copy of hash to diagnose when numbers don't reconcile. But I only have access to dev & test area.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Tell us a bit more about the environments. For example is one using Intel chips and the other not, meaning that the byte order would need to be altered? Did you use a binary mode FTP?
A hashed file (note, "hashed", not "hash") consists of two file system objects that you have to move - a directory containing three files (DATA.30, OVER.30 and .Type30) and a file called D_HashedFileName which contains the metadata for the hashed file.
All of these need to be moved.
If you have done that successfully, using binary FTP, then View Data should work, provided your Hashed File stage uses "directory" as its access method.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Ray is absolutely right. You should always use binary mode for moving hashed files. I did it recently and it works. But make sure that you move the hashed file directory along with its contents and also the D_hashed_file as Ray advised.

DATA.30 is the data file, OVER.30 is the overflow file and .Type30 indicates that the hashed file is a dynamic hashed file which is the default.

Also, kudos to Ray's patience. He's been correcting so many people that it is called a hashed and NOT a hash file. This has been the case with many posters and it has become ubiquitous.

If anyone comes across posters using 'hash' instead of 'hashed', please correct them instantly.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Also Job Sequence and not sequencer :wink:

-Kumar