DB2 Date to SQL Server Date or TimeStamp

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Titto
Participant

DB2 Date to SQL Server Date or TimeStamp

Post by Titto »

I am loading data from DB2 to SQL Server, I defined the SQL Server column as Date type as DATE, but then i move data DB2 Date field to Sql Server Date fields it is aborting. I tried SQL Server column defining TimeStamp it worked with Current TimeStamp.
So, my question is what is best SQL server data type I need to use and How to convert DB2 Date to Timestamp so that i can use it to insert in SQL Server. ( I am new to sql server)

Any Help is appreciated!

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

SQL Server expects milliseconds. Concatenate ".000" to your timestamp.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Titto
Participant

Post by Titto »

Hi Ray,
what would be the Data type in SQL server side.
But source is Date not Timestamp.

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Then concatenate " 00:00:00.000".
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Titto
Participant

Post by Titto »

Thanks Ray,

I am not sure will it store as timestamp or Char filed if i concatenate "00:00:00.000" and move the filed to SqlServer. If it stored as Char - i hope we may not able to do data functions on this field.

But I did defined the SqlServer column data type as Chat and selected Data element as "SQL.SMALLDATETIME". By doing this i could able to insert the Date from DB2 by doing Oconv on Input data column.

Hope i am doing right, need to do some Data calculation on SqlServer Date filed.

Let me know if i did wrong by following the above.

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are no SQL data types within server jobs. This means that, even though you perform a "string" operation, if the metadata specify that the column is TimeStamp, it will be stored as TimeStamp.
:D
bmadhav
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bmadhav »

First, make sure the DB2 date is in a format of mm/dd/ccyy. Then in the transformer right before the load to SQL sever, use the following datatype in "data element" column:
SQL.SMALLDATETIME. The length is 16 and display size is 19.
using this datatype in the target column, will make ensure u convert DB2 date to SQL server date time.
peterbaun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by peterbaun »

Hi

Don't know if you have got this working yet. The DB2 date is probably a day number when you extract it so you need to convert it to a correct date format.

We have some DS jobs doing this conversion and the following works :
Oconv(Arg1, "D-YMD[4,2,2]") : " 00:00:00.000"

Regards
Peter