Is DB Client required for Configuring DSN on ETL Server?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tombastian
Premium Member
Premium Member

Is DB Client required for Configuring DSN on ETL Server?

Post by tombastian »

Hi,
I have configured a DSN on the ETL server for DB2 Database. But unfortunatly it's not working. I would like to know whether I should install DB2 client on ETL server to connect to the database using the DSN on my ETL Server on Unix.

Thanks in Advance,
Tom
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Yes, you always need the client loaded. The DataStage server becomes a client to the database during loading or retrieving data.
Mamu Kim
ml
Participant

Post by ml »

Hi Tom, yes if you want to create a native connection to DB2 you need to install the Db2 client on your ETL server (or somewhere), then you will need to catalog the connections with the db2 client. (this should be your first step, check the db2 connections from db2 client).
After that you need to add the BD2DIR and DB2INSTANCE variables on your dsenv file. Then you can create/test the DSN.

Reed the manual for more detail.

Regards,

Matias.
tombastian
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tombastian »

Thanks Kim and Mathias for your valuable inputs.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

As far as DB2 is concerned, DataStage job is just another client application. Therefore the DataStage job needs to have access to the client software (DB2 Connect perhaps).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gbusson
Participant

Post by gbusson »

Yes u have to install the sb2 client and set the .profile of the user who launches the jobs.