Administrator client hangs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Administrator client hangs

Post by gateleys »

Hi, I am trying to set the environment variables in the Administrator client (using DS 7.0 on windows). However, when I select my project and click on its properties, it hangs. I also created a new project with no jobs, but it meets the same fate when I try to view its properties in the Administrator. Can somebody please suggest, how I should get out of this mess?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Will it work if you try the administrator from another client PC?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,

What editon of widowd you use?

-Kumar
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

ArndW wrote:Will it work if you try the administrator from another client PC?
No, the same problem with another client PC as well. Could it be due to the fact that the server is running low on space? Of course, there is still space.
Last edited by gateleys on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

kumar_s wrote:Hi,

What editon of widowd you use?

-Kumar
WinXP pro
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,

If you make a seach in this forum for your case, you can find some solutions given.
Restart the Server. Some suggestion for upgrading the available service pack.
Request for patch form support. Reinstalling Client. As an extreme Reinstalling Windows. I guess you can try one by one :wink:

-Kumar
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

kumar_s wrote: If you make a seach in this forum for your case, you can find some solutions given.
I did search the forum, but nothing specific found.
kumar_s wrote:Restart the Server
One of the first thing I tried.
kumar_s wrote: Some suggestion for upgrading the available service pack. Request for patch form support.
Installed the dsclient_xpsp2 patch obtained from Ascential support. I dunno if they have another patch for this specific problem.
kumar_s wrote:Reinstalling Client. As an extreme Reinstalling Windows.
Dunno if that's going to help since the problem exists in all of our clients.

I hope somebody has some solution!!!
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,

Is there any new software installed in the server. If so try to uninstall the specific patch form Registry.
Was it happening recently or from the day one of your DS installaion.
If this is the case there should exixt some patch for this.

-Kumar
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

I just ran the Admin again and tried to get into the project properties for a new project that i created (with no jobs in it). After about 45 minutes, I got an error message-

Code: Select all

Run-time error '6':
Overflow
When I click the OK button of the message, the Admin client exits.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The error message is from the local client program. Do you also have problems with the Designer/Director/Manager on that PC? It does sound like it might be time to give your support provider a call and let them see if this is a known issue already.
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

ArndW wrote:Do you also have problems with the Designer/Director/Manager on that PC?
No, everything else works just fine. Of course, I haven't had to work on the Admin client for anything else apart from creating a new project (success); opening project properties (No success).
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

It sounds potentially that the project has some issues internally. Is there any chance you ran it out of space? Consider getting a file system level backup as soon as possible. Make sure everyone is out of the project, then try using DS.TOOLS from the command line. Just telnet to the server and login. You can try to rebuilding repository indices and then see if that fixes the Administrators ability to access the project.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

kcbland wrote:Is there any chance you ran it out of space?
We are running low on server space, but not out of space. Yeah, will try your opinion on the DS.TOOLS and rebuilding repository indices. Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When you connect with the Administrator client do you have administrator privilege?

Are there very many UNIX groups on your server's domain? It may be taking a long time to determine who belongs to the various groups. Indeed, this sometimes out with "unable to enumerate domain groups" if the domain controller is particularly busy.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

ray.wurlod wrote:When you connect with the Administrator client do you have administrator privilege?
Yes, I have admin privs.
ray.wurlod wrote:Are there very many UNIX groups on your server's domain? It may be taking a long time to determine who belongs to the various groups. Indeed, this sometimes out with "unable to enumerate domain groups" if the domain controller is particularly busy.
DS server runs on Windows. And, there aren't many groups on its domain.