Phantom Warning Message

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ianm
Charter Member
Charter Member

Phantom Warning Message

Post by ianm »

I've picked up a job written by another datastage developer which is generating a phantom error message :-

Project: BI_Layer Host system: xxxx
Items: 1 - 12
Sorted on: Date Sorter

Occurred: 10:03:52 On date: 30/01/2006 Type: Control
Event: Starting Job DIST_EXPORTPIPELINE_ian_debug. (...)

Occurred: 10:03:52 On date: 30/01/2006 Type: Info
Event: Environment variable settings: (...)

Event: DIST_EXPORTPIPELINE_ian_debug: Set NLS locale to US-ENGLISH,US-ENGLISH,US-ENGLISH,US-ENGLISH,US-ENGLISH

Event: DIST_EXPORTPIPELINE_ian_debug..xFmt: DSD.StageRun Active stage starting, tracemode = 0.

Event: DIST_EXPORTPIPELINE_ian_debug..xFmt: Set NLS locale to US-ENGLISH,US-ENGLISH,US-ENGLISH,US-ENGLISH,US-ENGLISH

Event: DIST_EXPORTPIPELINE_ian_debug..DIST_EXPORTPIPELINE_TODAY: SELECT WORK_LAYER.DIST_EXPORTPIPELINE_TODAY.C_VEH_ID, WORK_LAYER.DIST_EXPORTPIPELINE_TODAY.CURR_COMPOUND_DATE_KEY, TO_CHAR(WORK_LAYER.DIST_EXP (...)

Occurred: 10:03:53 On date: 30/01/2006 Type: Info
Event: DIST_EXPORTPIPELINE_ian_debug..xFmt: DSD.StageRun Active stage finishing. (...)

Occurred: 10:03:54 On date: 30/01/2006 Type: Warning
Event: DataStage Job 611 Phantom 4796 (...)

Occurred: 10:03:54 On date: 30/01/2006 Type: Control
Event: Finished Job DIST_EXPORTPIPELINE_ian_debug.

End of report.

When I look at the phantom message it reads :-
DataStage Job 611 Phantom 4796
Sat to Sun no time
Sat to Sun no time
Sat to Sun no time
Sat to Sun no time
Sat to Sun no time
DataStage Phantom Finished

I've tracked down a routine in the transform where the message appears to be coming from (I.E. if i delete it the error disappears).
The problem is the routine calls other routines which call other routines e.t.c. e.t.c.
I can't track down where the error is being generated from.
Any ideas where I can go from here ?
Can you search routines ?

Thanks,
Ian
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ian,

are you sure that you are running 7.x? I recall that if you put "PRINT" statements into program code in prior releases it would print the information in the phantom log file but also trigger a job warning. I am fairly certain that this doesn't happen at version 7. If you can locate the line in your code where the PRINT statement is executed, either comment that out or convert it to a CALL DSLogInfo() message.
ianm
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ianm »

Hi ArndW,

Yes I'm definately running version 7.5.

As to whether it's a PRINT or DSLogWarn command that is generating the warning I don't know. That's my problem, I can't locate the routine (assuming it is a routine) that is generating the "Sat to Sun no time" message.

Regards,
Ian
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ianm,

do a full export of all your routines into a .dsx file and search for that string, or perhaps a search for "no time" might help too, that looks like a string constant. If you search for "PRINT " you might narrow it down as well - production DS code shouldn't contain any print statements; I use them a lot when I am doing test runs of routines, but they have no place in production.
ianm
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ianm »

ArndW,

Many thanks I followed your advice and located the routine.
It looks like the developer had commented out most of his/her PRINT statements but had missed one.

Thanks again,
Ian
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I guess that the question about the PRINT statement generating job run warnings at 7.5x has been answered as well :)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You sure you're not thinking of the fact that they removed the warning for that PRINTER MEMORY SEGMENT REMOVED (or whatever) 'warning' message? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

That must have been it - plus there was a pesky unassigned variable print message that would cometimes trigger jobs to have a warning status when in fact they didn't.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Anything that generates unexpected output (that is, more than "started" and "finished") in the DSD.StageRun file in &PH& will cause the contents of that file to be logged as a warning.

This behaviour continues to be the case in 7.5 and 7.5.1.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.