Access DS Repository By C++ application

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Umbix62
Participant

Access DS Repository By C++ application

Post by Umbix62 »

Hi

may I access the DataStage Repository from an application written in c++ language?

thanks

Umberto
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,

Welcome Aboard :D

If you can able to call unix shell, obviously you can call the shell which involves UV command to play with DS repository.

-Kumar
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Why do you need to do this?
Mamu Kim
Umbix62
Participant

Post by Umbix62 »

kumar_s wrote:Hi,

Welcome Aboard :D

If you can able to call unix shell, obviously you can call the shell which involves UV command to play with DS repository.

-Kumar
Hi

thank you for the answer. I know UV command, executable also in Win32 system. I need access DataStage Repository directly from a program written in c++ language. I know there are the API functions to do that but I have found anything to help me.

Umberto
Umbix62
Participant

Post by Umbix62 »

kduke wrote:Why do you need to do this?
Hi

i want to develop an application showing, reading data from a dsx file or directly from the Repository, the jobs status, input/output flows, dependencies with other jobs/sequencer, the category in witch they are. All that with a graphical help.

Sorry for my english, I know it's terrible.

Thanks

Umberto
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The DataStage engine is still quite close to what IBM now own and sell as UniVerse. You can download the manuals from IBM's web pages and one of the utilities documented is the UCI (UniVerse Call Interface) and Unibjects which describes the API you can use to call UniVerse from a language such as C++. I am not certain if this functionality is supported in the DataStage engine but it won't cost you much effort to try it.

Being able to access the hashed files is only a small part of what you are intending to do - since much of the underlying data structures are not documented by IBM/Ascential it will take a lot of work to understand the information and write code to access it. In addition, this will become obsolete in about a year's time. It makes more sense for you to use the functions currently available inside DS and then write your own code to interpret and use the extracted information.
Umbix62
Participant

Post by Umbix62 »

ArndW wrote:The DataStage engine is still quite close to what IBM now own and sell as UniVerse. You can download the manuals from IBM's web pages and one of the utilities documented is the UCI (UniVerse Call Interface) and Unibjects which describes the API you can use to call UniVerse from a language such as C++. I am not certain if this functionality is supported in the DataStage engine but it won't cost you much effort to try it.

Being able to access the hashed files is only a small part of what you are intending to do - since much of the underlying data structures are not documented by IBM/Ascential it will take a lot of work to understand the information and write code to access it. In addition, this will become obsolete in about a year's time. It makes more sense for you to use the functions currently available inside DS and then write your own code to interpret and use the extracted information.
Ok, thank you for the suggestion. I'll do that as soon as possible.

Umberto
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You could also look at processing an export in XML format and not the normal DSX format. Should help get specific things quicker.
Mamu Kim
Umbix62
Participant

Post by Umbix62 »

kduke wrote:You could also look at processing an export in XML format and not the normal DSX format. Should help get specific things quicker.
Hi
I know that but I need of accessing directly, if it's possible, throught DS API, from a program written c++ language. Thank you anyway for the answer.

Umberto
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If, as you claim, you know UV, then you will know of UniObjects, an interface that can present objects via a COM control or as Java classes. DataStage has its equivalent, called dsobjects.dll. This will make available to you all the object you require to access a DataStage repository database.

A warning. If you make changes to that database, you are at risk of voiding your warranty.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Umbix62
Participant

Post by Umbix62 »

ray.wurlod wrote:If, as you claim, you know UV, then you will know of UniObjects, an interface that can present objects via a COM control or as Java classes. DataStage has its equivalent, called dsobjects.dll. This will make available to you all the object you require to access a DataStage repository database.

A warning. If you make changes to that database, you are at risk of voiding your warranty.
Good, I Know UV, but only as user. I don't know the UV side you speak about. Is there any document about dsobjects.dll?

Thank you very much for your help?

Umberto
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No.

However, there is a document about the UniVerse equivalent, that can be found among the UniVerse manuals (use version 9.6) at the IBM "manuals online" website.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Umbix62
Participant

Post by Umbix62 »

ray.wurlod wrote:No.

However, there is a document about the UniVerse equivalent, that can be found among the UniVerse manuals (use version 9.6) at the IBM "manuals online" website.
I just do it. Thank you again.

Umberto