Audit / Run-Time Information in Datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

raj_konig
Participant

Audit / Run-Time Information in Datastage

Post by raj_konig »

Folks,

Could any one let me know whether Datastage stores Audit / Run-Time information.

If so Please let me know where can I get the information from.

Wht I mean by Audit / Run - Time Information is, the information like Job(server -job) start time, no of records inserted, rejected, deleted, updated and the status of the job (Success / Failure) is failed the error code. All the related information.

Generally this information will be stored in repository tables for other ETL Tools.

But I couldnt find any such information in Datastage.

I even tried installing Metastage. But I couldnt find such information from Metastage nor the tables created while installing Metastage do hold such information.

Please help me out.
Thanks in Advance.

rajesh
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Rajesh,

this information is stored in the DataStage repository hashed files. It is accessible via many different methods including:

1. The Director client program
2. The UNIX/Windows command line using different command line options of the dsjob program.
3. The BASIC programming interface; see the BASIC manual and all the routines that begin with DSGet (DSGetJobInfo, DSGetStageInfo, DSGetLinkInfo, etc.)

You can read the documentation or use the forum's search facility on the keywords listed above to get detailed information.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Do a search for EtlStats. It has BASIC code included to extract row counts and store them in tables. It also has examples of using dsjob to gert the same thing. You can download all the jobs n my tips page below.
Mamu Kim
raj_konig
Participant

Post by raj_konig »

Hi Folks,

Thank you very much for the information.

I also have gone thru the other posting "DS Repository" this is also very helpful to me.

But i have basic doubt. you guys mentioned some Universe tables.

My datastage server is on windows 2003 server. where can i find metadata hased files or metadata related information.

thanks
rajesh
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

There is not difference at the hashed file level between UNIX and Windows; in neither implementation can these files be accessed from the OS. You need to use one of the methods listed above on either platform.
raj_konig
Participant

Post by raj_konig »

Folks,

Thanks a lot for all your inputs. Finaly I am able to get all the information. But coming to the no.of records inserted, no of records deleted or updated or rejected i think this information is not directly available.

Do I need to generate my own code to caprture this? or is there any work around for this

Thanks,
rajesh
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

In the BASIC interface you can use DSGetLinkInfo() to get the number of rows passed through any link in a job; so you can get some of your required data there. The normal log file entries will also, for some stage types, list the number of update/inserts executed and you can retrieve and parse that information as well.

What stage are you looking at collecting this data for?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Search the forum.

DataStage only reports what DataStage did. For example how many rows it sent to the database. It can also capture rows rejected by the database and send this along another link. You can get the row counts and subtract them. This has been discussed elsewhere.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.