What can I do with Datastage checkpoints?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

olgc
Participant

Post by olgc »

Hi there,

Is it just check the "check box" beside of "Add checkpoints so sequence is restartable on failure" within the job properties of a sequnce job? And its function is only when it fails, you can rerun it from the failed point. Is this all about the Datastage checkpoints?

Where is the document or guide about the checkpoints? Server job developer's Guide? Director Guide? Administrator Guide? Nothing in the Designer help. If you try, you'll find database checkpoint there.

Thanks,
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

HI,

You suppose to get in Designer's Guide under Job Sequences.
Unfortunately not more than a page :cry:

-Kumar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's because there's not much to say. An activity that is checkpointed will be skipped next time the job sequence is run if there remain any checkpoints in the job sequence (that is, the entire job sequence did not complete successfully).

If any activity must be run every time the job sequence is run, check its "do not checkpoint me" checkbox.

If a job sequence for which checkpointing is enabled completes successfully, then a message appears in the job log informing that all checkpoints have been cleared.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
olgc
Participant

Post by olgc »

Certainly, you can say more with checkpoint: What does it mean? How does it work? ... And, most importantly, show you couple of examples how to use the checkpoint in a project.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You don't use checkpoints. DataStage does, when a job sequence is re-run that failed earlier. All you do is check a box to indicate that you would like this functionality to be compiled in to the job sequence.

The only other thing of which to be aware is the "do not checkpoint me" check box in activities in the job sequence. Such activities are never skipped.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.