Wierd Problem with Shared Container

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ak77
Charter Member
Charter Member

Wierd Problem with Shared Container

Post by ak77 »

Hi everybody,

I created a shared container and am using it in a different job
This job has four of this shared containers and they are all writing to one sequential file. The performance characteristics( meaning the Show Performance in the Designer) is not displayed in one of the links but the monitor option in Director shows the characteristics for all the links

Has anybody had this problem?

Thank you

Kishan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The operating system will only allow one writer at a time to a sequential file. This is not a DataStage problem - it's a design issue. Have the shared container write to a different file in each instance - make the file name a container parameter.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ak77
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ak77 »

Ray -

I see what you mean but I was using a LinkCollector to write to a single file and also four different sequential files
It does the same meaning it wont show any information on one of the links

I am not sure why its happening
Initially I had this problem in 6.0.1 and another friend of mine told he has the problem in 7.5 also

Thanks
Kishan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you see the performance statistics inside the container, if you open it from the job design?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, that's one of the 'problems' with shared containers. There's no way to get performance statistics for the stages inside them.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ak77
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ak77 »

Thanks Ray and Chulet,

I didnt try looking into the Shared container
But I just brought this issue because I wanted to know if it was a problem with DataStage

Kishan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Performance statistics on Designer are only a "nice to have" anyway. You can always get the link row counts from the job log, or programmatically once the job has finished processing rows.