Little endian Datatype

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nchincholikar
Participant

Little endian Datatype

Post by nchincholikar »

Hi All,
Is there any data type or conversion available in DataStage to use datatype like Little endian and Big endian.
This datatypes are available in Ab-intito plz let me know if we have this kind Datatype available in DataStage.

Thanks in Advance,
Narendra.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

These are not data types. They refer to the order in which pairs of bytes are stored/processed. More than anything this is a function of what kind of CPU chip is in use - over-simply Intel or otherwise.

DataStage is automatically aware, because of the platform on which it is installed, of the correct byte order. You do not have to manipulate them explicitly. Most utilities, such as FTP between Windows and UNIX, also handle byte-order automatically.

I seriously doubt that real Ab Initio users actually use these. I suspect that the functions are only there because some marketing person happened across the terms in a magazine. (Note: we must stop marketing getting access to technical magazines.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nchincholikar
Participant

Post by nchincholikar »

Ray,
Thanks for the reply.
In DataStage Parallel edition Under Type Defaults-->Genral-->Byte Order of Sequential File stage option is available using which I can assign Multiple-byte data types like little-endian and big-endian do we have something similar in Server edition.

Regards,
Narendra
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not out of the box. It can be done with Oconv() using "MX0C" (or possibly "MB") conversion and rearranging the pairs of bytes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.