Upgrade DS from 5.2 to 7.x

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PLAMBERT
Participant

Upgrade DS from 5.2 to 7.x

Post by PLAMBERT »

Have somebody doing this kind of upgrade?
What about my current DS projects ?
Do I need to rewrite all my DS projects ?
Can I use some procedures (like export/import) to migrate my DS project in the right version ?
And in this case, what I should do manually?
My first purpose is to estimate the complexity and the amount of day necessary to do that.

Thinks for your answer and sorry for my bad English. :oops:

Pascal.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

Please post questions in the correct forum. (taken care of by moderator)

Have somebody doing this kind of upgrade?
Yes, lots. Search the forum.

What about my current DS projects ?
Do I need to rewrite all my DS projects ?

No, they're automatically upgraded.

Can I use some procedures (like export/import) to migrate my DS project in the right version ?
Yes. Export/import. But you don't need to. The upgrade will upgrade your projects automatically.

And in this case, what I should do manually?
Take and verify backup before starting.
Test that it's all been successful.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
michaelsarsnorum
Participant

Post by michaelsarsnorum »

I have been involved with an upgrade from version 5.2 to 7.5.1A. A process which is still ongoing. The upgrade on our part has been less than trivial to put i mildly.

Hopefully we'll have the new environment up and running soon (has taken 3 months so far).

Michael
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:shock: Three months? Care to share why that might be? Any lessons learned might be helpful for others in the same boat.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
michaelsarsnorum
Participant

This can be related to two things:
1. The first attempt to install the new server was unsuccesful. The user tights on the server were not properly configured.

2. The job of migrating the old datastage jobs from version 5.2 was not as trivial as originally said. We had a problem with the new server delivering corrupt data to the target database on some jobs and could not figure out why. After about two months of back-and-forth with IBM is was discovered that this was due to a metadata mismatch.

On version 5.2 we had (still in our production environment) some jobs that read from a character field in the database, but the field in the datastage job was set to decimal. On 5.2 this resulted in an implicit conversion from char to decimal. On 7.5.1A this does not work.

After about a month of back-and-forth with IBM they concluded that this was due to the wrong use of Datastage. Apparently this is not a bug and it has been their intention to remove implicit conversion from the decimal type and e.g. not the float type which still works. Datastage does not give any error messages realted to this either...

Long story, but the upgrade is still not complete. We're currently waiting for IBM to deliver a patch that will make the manual task of syncing the metadata in the db with datastage less time consuming.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

michaelsarsnorum wrote:The user tights on the server were not properly configured.
I hate improperly configured tights. They pinch me in the wrong places. :lol:

Your situation highlights the seriousness of proper metadata, even though Server is highly flexible it requires a high degree of discipline. There's too many implementations that are not well crafted. Good luck.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sorry to hear of your tribulations. I guess all mine have been well-disciplined projects from the start, then. 8)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
michaelsarsnorum
Participant

We actually took over a project develop by another company. Mission: to clean up ;)