How can i hide the links in datastage jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sivaraob
Participant

How can i hide the links in datastage jobs

Post by sivaraob »

friends..
can u tell me that is there any option to hide the links between the stages in a datastage job
koolnitz
Participant

Post by koolnitz »

No option.
Nitin Jain | India

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

what shell it be good for?
MaheshKumar Sugunaraj
Participant

Post by MaheshKumar Sugunaraj »

No Option as stated but why do you want to hide the links, ant specific reason.

The product itself is used to explain how the data is flowing from the SOURCE to TARGET.

Regards
mahesh
koolnitz
Participant

Post by koolnitz »

Though I myself stated that there is no option to hide a link, strangely, once I found lots of links in my job in invisible mode. No kidding. When I tried to compile the job, it warned me about unattached links. I searched all around the canvas, couldn't find a single unmapped link. But when I observed minutely, I found 20 links which were there in the job, but invisible.

Question - How did I see the invisible links?
Well, When I selected "Show Error" option from Compilation warning pop-up, a faded small dot appeared for every such link.

Has anybody else experienced this??
Nitin Jain | India

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Koolnitz,

those links are artefacts of deletion and their start and end points are not attached to any stages plus their length is just one pixel - they aren't really invisible, just too small to see. Compiling and then clicking on the "more" button will highlight them for deletion.

Sometimes these are also caused by inadvertant right-mouse clicks in the canvas during design-time.
koolnitz
Participant

Post by koolnitz »

Thanks Arnd!

Your answer is absolutely making sense. We had lots of changes and modifications in that particular job, and quite probable that it might have caused the so-called "Invisible links".
Nitin Jain | India

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ArndW wrote:they aren't really invisible, just too small to see.
:lol: Interesting distinction.

Reminds me of a new feature we just saw from a 'partner' who supplies flat files to us. Suddenly, processing job blowed up due to a format change they inadverdantly introduced post COBOL upgrade. We assumed they had switched to a fixed format from the comma delimited one we were expecting, but they said that wasn't the case. Apparently, the upgrade caused all of the commas in the file 'to become invisible'. :roll:

And us without our Secret Decoder Ring stage.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Craig,

you have a good point about the distinction - from the user point of view a link that is too small to see is equivalent ot being invisible. It does work out to the same thing...

I suppose the correct clarification would be "DataStage does not allow links between stages to be hidden".

p.s. I couldn't find the decoder-ring stage in my client. But I'll trade you for my AutoDateConvert() function (the version with builtin prescience).
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I have one of those, but it uses SAP prescience (VE vill tell you how to run your business!).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.