Debugging a Routine

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

faheemrao
Participant

Debugging a Routine

Post by faheemrao »

hello

I am having a problem in getting right result from a basic routine I wrote. When I test it from the Test button it runs fine and give the desired results. But when I try to debug the job and watch the output of the Routine , it gives the invalid results. I am not sure is there anyway I can but breaks point in the Routine codes and try to pin point where it is getting wrong.

So my question is that how should debug my routine code? I did not find any interface datastage designer provide from that. Is there any other way to do that.

Thanks

Faheem Rao
Faheem Jabbar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's no debugger for routines, only for the jobs themselves.

Best way I've found is to build the routine one logical 'segment' at a time and pass out the intermediate results as the Answer. Keep testing the routine and make sure each bit of logic works as desired before adding another. Lather, rinse, repeat, sending out more and more complete intermediate results until the final result you have is rock solid.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard! :D

What were your expected and actual results? (You can use stage tracing to determine these, capturing them into a file, or the Debugger to see the values either side of the Transformer stage.)

You can post the Routine code here if you like but, if you do, make sure to include the FUNCTION line (so we know what the arguments are) and to enclose the code with Code tags.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.