Universe will be going away...

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Universe will be going away...

Post by chulett »

Not wanting to hijack the thread this came from, I've started another.
ray.wurlod wrote:"UniVerse" will be going away as the repository database in the next release. Though I'm sure IBM would be happy to sell you a copy of UniVerse when that happens.
Ok... I understand things like Oracle will replace Universe as the repository of choice for jobs / metadata / etc when Hawk shows up. However, the implication here is that "Universe" itself will be gone at that point? How can that be possible? :shock:

Am I reading too much into this jibe?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No, it will still be there since it is integral to all the server functions; just that all the metadata will wander off to other repositories.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That's what I would have thought...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Re: Universe will be going away...

Post by shawn_ramsey »

I believe that Ascential/IBM has stated that their long term goal is to pull Universe out of the product. I think that it is a great idea since the parallel engine is much more scalable and that they cannot keep developing on two core technologies forever. You can see a lot of this already happening with the data profiling and quality tools moving over to the parallel engine in the next release.

That being said they are going to have a challenge in building the equivalent functionality into the parallel product to make it easy enough to build the tools to convert the jobs from server to parallel.
Shawn Ramsey

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-- Douglas Adams
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

Universe will remain as the DataStage Engine.....A new database instance (e.g., Oracle, DB2, SQL Server) will be created to hold Job related metadata such as Job designs, Routines and so on.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The Hawk release comes with a new IBM/Ascential product called the Information Server or the Metadata Server, depending on which presentation you go to. This provides metadata services to the Hawk products but also other WebSphere products, it is part of the Master Data Management framework for example, so it will provide the repository for both versions of DataStage. There is still the need to compile and run server jobs and BASIC code and this may mean keeping a Universe engine or using a BASIC compiler.