max length of project name in AIX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

djoni
Participant

max length of project name in AIX

Post by djoni »

What is the maximum length of project name in AIX?
djoni
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I think it is the same length as the maximum length of a filename in AIX (or on your specific filesystem).
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Keep it small, less than 30 characters, because the dialog boxes are small. If you have too big of a name, you can't distinguish project_xyz_1 from projecT_xyz_1234 because of right side truncation.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's actually 18 characters.

This is so that the SQL Catalog for DataStage can be 100% compliant with a whole heap of standards, including SQL CAE Access Group and ODBC standards, that limit a schema name to 18 characters.

The operating system is irrelevant. This is a limit within the SQL engine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
djoni
Participant

Post by djoni »

Should I better apply the same length limit, 18 characters, to all other DS objects? (job, stage, link, ...)
djoni
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No, there is no need to do that, and with most naming standards in place for DS jobs you would be hard-pressed to fit the names into 18 characters.

Only the project is stored as a schema in the DS Engine.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Only the schema name is restricted to 18 characters (and to what those characters can be). Key values in tables (and therefore job names, routine names, etc.) are restricted to the value set by the MAXKEYLENGTH parameter in the uvconfig file - by default in recent versions this is 768 characters, but you seriously don't want to go anywhere near that! Keep them small enough so that the entire name is visible in drop-down lists.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
djoni
Participant

Post by djoni »

Which documents has the list of max lengths of all names of DS objects?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Probably the best is UniVerse System Description, but you would also need UniVerse SQL User Reference