Path of job log files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rony_daniel
Participant

Path of job log files

Post by rony_daniel »

Hi All,

When we run a job in DataStage job log can be viewed in Director. But where will these same information stored in UNIX? Will it be stored as a file? If so then can anybody please tell me what is the directory PATH where i will find the file in UNIX.

Thanks & Regards,
Rony
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

Yes for every job, a corresponding log file RT_LOGjobno file is created(where jobno is the unique identifier of job), it resides within the project directory (in windows)(and I think the same sholud be true with UNIX also).
Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Even though loveojha2 has answered your question, it wasn't a complete answer. The log files for DataStage jobs are stored in hashed files, which are not accessible from UNIX. There are different ways of reading these files or dumping them to text files (the dsjob unix program lets you do this with several options).
rony_daniel
Participant

Post by rony_daniel »

Thanks Arnd! I was able to get the job log details loaded onto a file with dsjob in UNIX.

But can you please tell me where these hashed files exist in the server.

Regards,
Rony
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Logs are hashed files within the project directory. You really need to consider stopping this train of thought because the log information is not stored in a manner that is relational. The log for a job is dependent on its job number, which changes whenever you copy or import a job. Please accept this advice from us, use the APIs to get at log information.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
Titto
Participant

Post by Titto »

rony_daniel wrote:Thanks Arnd! I was able to get the job log details loaded onto a file with dsjob in UNIX.

Regards,
Rony
Hi Rony,

Could you please share the code or syntax - how you did get the log details to flat file using dsjob in unix.

Thanks
rony_daniel
Participant

Post by rony_daniel »

Titto wrote:
rony_daniel wrote:Thanks Arnd! I was able to get the job log details loaded onto a file with dsjob in UNIX.

Regards,
Rony
Hi Rony,

Could you please share the code or syntax - how you did get the log details to flat file using dsjob in unix.

Thanks
The syntax is as follows :-

dsjob -server <server> -user <username> -password <psw> -joblog -max 100 <Project Name> <Job Name> >> /home/<Filename>

1) Here max 100 means it will give the last 100 log data.
2) Filename is the name of the file in your unix server to which log data needs to be written.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,
Rony
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Let me stress again that there are no job log files (in the sense that they can be read using operating system utilities). DataStage maintains job log tables (which are implemented as hashed files, at least in current versions).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.