Mass change of user id and password

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Titto
Participant

Mass change of user id and password

Post by Titto »

Hi,

The question i am going to ask is all ready been discussed in this message board but i have doubt.

I got a requirement that i need to change the User Id and Password for DataStage jobs and sequencers.
I have lot of jobs to make the above changes.

Case -1:-
When i looked at the Job Sequencers they did not have any parameters defined for that Job Sequencers - for each Job Activity which calls a DS Job, those DS Jobs has parameters, but who ever coded did not bother to add those parameters to the Job Sequencer, they just did "Set all to Default".

My question is - if i export only the Job Sequencer to .dsx file and replace all User Id's and Passwords to new and Import back to project, Will those changes all the User Id and Password parameters of DS Jobs which are in Job Seq or not ?

Case-2:-
There are some Job Sequencer's which followed the correct process to add Job Activity DS Job Parameters to the Job Sequencer.

My Question is - If i Export the Job Sequencers and make changes to User Id and Password with new once, and Import back to project - WILL IT CHANGE THE DS JOB PARAMETERS automatically or not?

Or Can i Export only the DS Jobs and change to new parameters and Import it back, does it change Job Sequencer automatically in above both cases? Or do i need to change both DSJobs and Job Sequencers?

Any recommendation for the task i am planning to do. Or shall i Just do it manually job by job and seq by seq.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Thanks
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

1. As long as passwords aren't setup as encrypted, but strings, a mass text replace in the dsx should do the trick. You must recompile everything.

2. Parameter default values are okay to change, but you must recompile everything for those defaults to be effective.

Just fix the problem once and for all. Go thru every job and use parameters appropriately. Make sure your management knows the error of the previous developers.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
Andal
Participant

Post by Andal »

Hi Titto,

In case of encrypted password also you can change the passwords in the DSX. Just give the correct password in a job and export it to a dsx, you will find some encrypted string like "HD:D1:V8=9KN0?FIDJJ4AKADB<=M=CU51UKNkNK`F@", Take that string and replace it with your old encrypted password string. I tried this and it is working.
Rgds
Anand
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The encrypted string is always composed of printable characters. That is why this approach will work.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Titto
Participant

Post by Titto »

kcbland wrote:1. As long as passwords aren't setup as encrypted, but strings, a mass text replace in the dsx should do the trick. You must recompile everything.

2. Parameter default values are okay to change, but you must recompile everything for those defaults to be effective.

Just fix the problem once and for all. Go thru every job and use parameters appropriately. Make sure your management knows the error of the previous developers.
Hi Ray,

For the CASE-1 : if i change only the Sequencer dsx file and compile, will it change the DataStage Parameters also?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Changing the hardcoded values in a Sequencer job activity stage will not change the hardcoded values defaulted in the controlled job.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
alanwms
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by alanwms »

If you are on release 7.5, you can use the project environment variables to store your usernames and encrypted passwords, and have them flow seamlessly into the jobs. You would need to update each job, but it might give you better flexibility and security in the long run.

The encryption in the project environment variable was an issue on releases prior to 7.5, but there is a workaround that was presented on another thread on the forum. You can do a search and find it.

Alan
Titto
Participant

Post by Titto »

Thanks for all the information.
I will try to incorporate to use Environment Variables.