File missing

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

arun_im4u
Premium Member
Premium Member

File missing

Post by arun_im4u »

Hi,

I have a job which extracts data from a oracle database using odbc stage and splits data into 7 files based on the @OUTROWNUM. The files are split as 40 million, 40 million, 30 million, 20 million, 20 million, 20 million and so on....

I checked it after it ran and the third file is empty. I checked for the file name, permissions and everythin seems fine. All the other files are written properly. The link says 30 million, but the file is empty.

Could the file be written somewhere else or has anyone else come across this problem.

Thanks,
Arun.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

You're positive you didn't reuse the same file name on multiple links? Otherwise, verify the path was valid, as it could have a file created with the directory as part of the name because of a non-existent directory.

On a side note, you should have multiple output links from the ODBC stage, so that you have parallel extraction queries each writing to their specific file. As your design exists, it will not achieve any greater throughput because only one process is reading Oracle. The effort to gate the rows to different files on @OUTROWNUM doesn't improve performance at all.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
dsusr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: File missing

Post by dsusr »

Hi Arun,

This happens because sequential file will not write any record if any of the column is coming null. Please check the log to see if any of the fields are coming null or just set Null Field Value property of sequential file.

Regards,
dsusr