Regarding config file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rkdatastage
Participant

Regarding config file

Post by rkdatastage »

Hi
Can any one explain me regarding COnfig File in datastage. What is the importance of it?. will it reflect to any performance related issues.

what is the behaviour of config file in Unix environment and windows environment?

Expecting your Reply, Thanks in Advance

RK
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

rkdatastage,

I did a quick search of this forum using the terms "config" and "file" and got 292 hits; that would make a good starting point. The question is far too broad and sound suspiciously like an interview question. The "config file" you are referring to doesn't exist directly. You have a "uvconfig" file that describes the configuration settings of the underlying DataStage engine, plus you have other DataStage configuration settings in places such as the "dsenv" files and also within the DataStage administrator.

I think the first step is to read the documentation on DataStage configuration, then see if any remaining questions you might have are answered in existing threads and then, should any open issues remain, post them here and people will be more than happy to answer them.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are at least three configuration files, uvconfig, uvodbc.config and (for parallel jobs only) *.apt. So the first refinement of your question is which of these you are asking about.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rkdatastage
Participant

Post by rkdatastage »

Hi Ray

Thanks for the info , i require information regarding the Server jobs, can you please explain about UVConfig and UVOdbc config files.

What is the importance of it?. will it reflect to any performance related issues.

what is the behaviour of config file in Unix environment and windows environment?

Expecting your Reply, Thanks in Advance

RK
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

If you search for UVCONFIG on the forum, you'll see all of the various tuning values that people would consider changing for their appropriate issues. For a new user to the tool, this information can be invaluable, please spend a little time researching. It's well worth the time. Windoze or Unix really doesn't matter for the tuning values, is the type of hardware and usage that dictates any configuration changes.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The uvconfig file is used to set the tunables for the DataStage Engine itself, things such as the size of lock tables, the number of dynamic hashed files that can be open simultaneously, the number of publicly-available numbered semaphores, whether NLS is enabled, and so on. There is one uvconfig file; it resides in the DataStage Engine directory.

The uvodbc.config file exists in each project, and lists the data source names that are visible from that project, and whether each is a "true" ODBC DSN (meaning that a driver will be required) or a UniVerse DSN (meaning that a direct connection - not using a driver - can be made). Additional information may be included about maximum number of columns, maximum row length, location of remote database, and so on.

On UNIX systems there is also a file called .odbc.ini which specifies the actual data source names. On Windows systems this information is stored in a Registry entry called ODBC.INI.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.