Import the DSX file and making available for client users

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

antojj
Participant

Post by antojj »

Hi all,

How can i import the DSX file.?

The problem :
I am new to Datastage. I have installed 7.5.
The Server version is installed in box A and Client Version is installed in box B.

I need to import the DSX file and be available for 4 more users to access the DSX (which has jobs/ processes / schedules etc...)

If i import from box B will this be accessible for the users having box (C,D,E,F).

How to go about the import.? Will this solves the availability of the DSX for the users (C,D,E,F).
Antonio D'souza
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

All jobs are imported into the server. The clients have no DataStage programs stored on them, they access the information on the server. You can connect any number of clients to the server, limited by your license. The clients must be PCs running Windows.
antojj
Participant

Post by antojj »

Hi ,

I tried to see the menu once the Datastage server is installed in the Windows 2000 Server box.

I am able to see only Datastage package installer. Apart from that nothing in the start menu.

Keeping this in hand how can i import the jobs in the Datastage server. I have a DSX file (contains the jobs / schedules / sequences etc ...)

I even installed the Datastage clients in windows XP. I have 8 licenses for the client installation.

Can someone help in this regard. As this is Urgent for us to continue the work...

Regards,
Antonio D'souza
tcj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tcj »

If it is urgent then I suggest you contact the vendor from which you bought the product.

You import the dsx from the datastage manager client. This imports the dsx onto the datastage server so that everyone can access and use what the dsx file contains.

Under the tab Import select the datastage components. Then point to the dsx file. You then have the option to import all or only a select couple of components.

You should now have access to the components from the dsx file.
Last edited by tcj on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
sasi_kumarreddy
Participant

Re: Import the DSX file and making available for client user

Post by sasi_kumarreddy »

antojj wrote:Hi ,

I tried to see the menu once the Datastage server is installed in the Windows 2000 Server box.

I am able to see only Datastage package installer. Apart from that nothing in the start menu.

Keeping this in hand how can i import the jobs in the Datastage server. I have a DSX file (contains the jobs / schedules / sequences etc ...)

I even installed the Datastage clients in windows XP. I have 8 licenses for the client installation.

Can someone help in this regard. As this is Urgent for us to continue the work...

Regards,
Hi,

Improting from a .dsx file is done by one f the datastage client side component - datastage manager.
when u install datastage client you ca see this. From datastage manager-> import you can specify the path of the .dsx file and start importing.

But in your case i am not sure because you are telling that you are not able to see any thing beyond package installer.
I guess it may be some installation problem. Please check and let us know.

Experts Correct me if i am wrong at any place.
SASI
tcj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tcj »

Sasi: I believe the person was trying to find the client software installed on the server.

That is why they only see the datastage package installer.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That is correct. The only thing that should be on the server is the Package Installer.

All other menu items are client-side only.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
antojj
Participant

Import the DSX file and making available for client user

Post by antojj »

Friends,

Let me tell in detail.
Datastage 7.5 Server software installed in Box A.
Datastage 7.5 Client software installed in Boxes B,C,D,E.
client Licenses : 8 Nos

I have a .DSX file (jobs /schedules / sequences etc...)

I need to import the .DSX file to box A (server)

How to go about this ?

Client and server are in a secure network. (Apart from LAN network)

In Server Box the following services are started and running succesfully.
1) Datastage Engine Resource service
2) Datastage Telnet Service

I am not able to access the server box. Even if i give the box name or ip address the following message is displayed in a dialog box.

"Failed to connect to host: 127.24.110.134, project:UV
(user name and/or password incorrect (80011))"

Is there any other way i can access the server box ?
Where can i create a project ?

Regards,
Antonio D'souza
antojj
Participant

Post by antojj »

Hi ,

Thanks a lot for the useful and fruitful information tips reg the importing of DSX file.
Here is the update few mins back i got.

I am able to connect to the server box with my credentials. I have logged in the Box A (server) with my username / password.

I created a dummy project (dstage) in the client box by invoking Datastage-->Administrator.

I invoked Datastage-->Manager and File Menu--> Import --> Datastage components and imported the .DSX file.

The file got imported without any errors.

Now, I need this DSX file to be available for the other clients B,C,D,E

Do let me know how to go about this.

Regards,
Antonio D'souza
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

antojj,

when you import jobs you do so using a client but nothing gets placed on the client Windows PC. So if you created a project called "dstage" then that project will be visible from any other client connecting to the server. This is the way that client/server technology works.

You state that you have logged into the server using your userid/password; how did you do that? It would seem that you haven't done using any of the DataStage client tools (Designer,Manager,Director or Admin) or by doing a "telnet {servername}" from your client. Something in your installation is preventing the normal login - hence your error message
"Failed to connect to host: 127.24.110.134, project:UV
(user name and/or password incorrect (80011))"
Are you doing a normal login or do you have the "omit" box checked in the DataStage client tools? You could try doing a login with a fully qualified userid as well.
antojj
Participant

Import the DSX file and making available for client user

Post by antojj »

ArndW,

I created the project dstage in the client using Administrator in my earlier installation of client software. It still got retained in the buffer.

Steps :
1) I invoked the datastage-->Manager in client box.
2) I entered my windows credentials (userid/password)for the datastage-->Manager . [I logged in to the server box using my (userid/password), so i used the (userid/password)].
3) I didnt check the "omit" checkbox in the datastage-->Manager.
4) I imported the DSX file in the Manager.
5) All the components got imported succesfully without reporting any error.

Now, will i be able to access the jobs from other client boxes (C,D,E).

Regards,
Antonio D'souza
sasi_kumarreddy
Participant

Post by sasi_kumarreddy »

hi antojj
Yes you can view that imported jobs/seq etc from the clients c,d.. but from that project to which you had imported only.
SASI
antojj
Participant

Post by antojj »

hi all,

Thanks a lot for the information. I am able to access the server jobs from the client boxes as mentioned.

Thanks once again.

Regards,
Antonio D'souza
rkdatastage
Participant

Post by rkdatastage »

Hi
You can also import the DSX file from command prompt also by using the command dsimport.
To import the dsx file you should have one project that is already created in the Project or create a new project by using admin tool and then import the DSX file .

RK