Job Sequence running forever

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Job Sequence running forever

Post by gateleys »

Hi,
I am using DS7.1 with Oracle9i. I have a job sequence that is running for a very long time. I realized that there was a query problem in one of the activities. So, I stopped the sequence, rectified the query.

My first question is- If I run the job sequence again, will it start all over again from the beginning, or from the job where it failed? Note: the previous job activities commit the transactions.

Second question- I read throught the forums, and found suggestions on restartability. I looked up the job properties for the sequence and found no such options. How would I force DS to restart from the point fo failure and not all over again?
gmorey
Participant

Post by gmorey »

We've had a similar problem with DataStage 7.1. We have a job that does a transform from one text file to another (integrating data from hash tables along the way) that should take about 90 seconds or less to run. Sometimes it seems to get stuck in the running status and the entire sequence must be aborted, reset and re-run.
Greg Morey
DBA/Developer
maheshsada
Participant

Post by maheshsada »

Hi

according to me when you restart a sequence it will start from the top, there are options in the sequencer, where you can give condition for restartabilty. This can be seen in the job properties tab page of the sequencer.

regards

Magesh S
khanparwaz
Participant

Post by khanparwaz »

There is an option in properties of sequence add check points sp that sequence can be restartable on failures use that it perform the functionality required by you.
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

Mahesh,
I know what you mean. But what if the restartability option is not checked, and my previous jobs have commited the transactions before a subsequent failure in the sequence. Will the sequence "re-write" the transactions (even though they might have commited)? What if all the constraints have been removed in my target table--will I get duplicate records for all commited rows? Just curious, you know?
maheshsada wrote:Hi

according to me when you restart a sequence it will start from the top, there are options in the sequencer, where you can give condition for restartabilty. This can be seen in the job properties tab page of the sequencer.

regards

Magesh S