Code migration from Windows to Unix

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

babbu9
Premium Member
Premium Member

Code migration from Windows to Unix

Post by babbu9 »

Hi
We have Oracle 10g and DS Server 7.5 edition. I was wondering if we could migrate the code developed in windows to an AIX platform (DS7.5.1) later.

Should we use dsx or xml files.What will be the issues.

Please inform

Bob
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The .dsx export does not matter. What matters is in the job designs themselves any system calls to DOS specific commands need porting, as well as the slash usage, "\" needs to be "/".
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I have had problems importing xml files on AIX 7.5.1A and now just go with DSX. Do a test export and import of one complex job first to see if it works and if all the required stages are installed in your target project.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Me, I'd only use XML exports if the target for them was something other than DataStage. Otherwise, I don't see the point of all that extra work that the import has to do. When you import an XML export, the first thing it has to do under the covers is convert it back to dsx format and then import it. :shock:

On large imports - like entire projects - this can take a long time. Emphasis on the word 'long'. :wink:

And even better reason would be Vincent's, if the conversion is known to hork things up on occassion.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers