DSADM Rights

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

DSADM Rights

Post by clarcombe »

It seems like the rights for the dsadm user have been changed by the Unix administrator.

When I run DS.REINDEX ALL in the DS Administrator I get the following error

Insufficient privileges on file "DS_DATATYPES"

So I can show the Unix Administrator " The error of his ways" what rights should the dsadm account have on the DS directories of the engine and the projects

Thanks
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

Certified IBM Infosphere Datastage Developer
clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by clarcombe »

Solution.

Found out that they have only allowed dsadm to create and delete projects. All other process (imp, exp , dev etc) must use a specific project linked account
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

Certified IBM Infosphere Datastage Developer
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

Well by default the uv command (which you need to execute in order to reindex in the first place) has the following permissions:

-rwsr-x--x 1 root dsadm 61440 Jun 2 2004 uv

So you need execute on the group and other
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The engine permissions are critical (particularly in the bin directory). If they have been changed DataStage may not work at all. Either reinstall or get your support provider to tell you how to reset the permissions (there is a script).

Within a project, best practice is to have dsadm as the owner of all objects, to allocate specific O/S group to each project, and to ensure that DataStage processes executing via dsenv have umask 002 (not the default 022). All objects in a project need to be rwx for owner and group; the dsadm user should belong to all project groups.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.