is DS filesystem /dbms

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kkreddy
Participant

is DS filesystem /dbms

Post by kkreddy »

hi DSGuru's ,

could anybody let me know where the repository objects will store , and also whether datastage is a file system or database system. as per my knowledge DS uses Universe database..if it is true how can we check this database

thanks in advance
Kiran Kumar
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

DataStage objects are stored in UniVerse, as you have correctly written. The file (i.e. Table) structure of the DataStage data is not officially documented by Ascential so that they continue to have the ability to change the structure of the system.

The complete documentation for the underlying system can be located on IBM's website (search for UniVerse Documentation) and that is quite close to the DataStage engine - they now have a different base but have only been "apart" for a couple of years - the differences lie mainly in functionality that has been removed from DataStage in order to make it faster.

There are many posts here dealing with the file structures that you can use as a starting point for researching the structures. But it is important to note that (a) this is dangerous to play with if you aren't 100% sure that you know what you are doing, (b) the structures can and will change over releases, and (c) everything is changing with the new DataStage version currently going into beta as the repository is no longer limited to UniVerse.
kkreddy
Participant

Re: is DS filesystem /dbms

Post by kkreddy »

Dear Arnd

thank u verymuch for u r immediate reply

best regards
Kiran Kumar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It was UniVerse up to version 5.2 of DataStage, which was built on version 9.6 of UniVerse. Since version 6.0 it has not been UniVerse. Close, but not exactly the same. Make sure you don't read the most current UniVerse manuals (version 10.1) but, instead, read the version 9.6 manuals. These are closer to what DataStage does and is. But it's still not the whole story - for example UniVerse does not have public shared cache for hashed files, DataStage does not have replication - you need the appropriate DataStage manuals to supplement your reading.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.