Help on dsexport

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Andal
Participant

Help on dsexport

Post by Andal »

I am having a problem while using dsexport. By using the parameter /JOB , i am able to export a individual job. But the problem is , it is not exporting the job executables.

Is there any way to achive this. I am using

Code: Select all

C:\Progra~1\Ascential\DataStage7.5\DSExport.exe /U=<userid> /P=<pwd> /H=<host> /JOB= <jobname> <projectname> <Target DSX name>
Rgds
Anand
jenkinsrob
Participant

Post by jenkinsrob »

Hi Andal,

What exactly are you trying to achieve??

You can export datastage jobs via the Datastage Manager. Here you have the option to include job executables in your export.
Andal
Participant

Post by Andal »

Hi jenkinsrob,

We have to export certain jobs frequently. So i am trying to automate it by giving the jobnames as input.

I wrote a batch file , which will take jobnames as input and append to the the specified DSX. But my problem is, i am not able to get the job executables.
Rgds
Anand
rkdatastage
Participant

Post by rkdatastage »

hi
you can export the job in two ways
1. By using datastage manager
2. By using dsexport command from the command prompt

what is the problem u are facing from the command prompt

/../datastage7.5/dsexport /job=<jobname> <projectname> <Target DSX path>

This is working fine

RK
jenkinsrob
Participant

Post by jenkinsrob »

Hi Andal,

As far as I know there is no way to export job executables from the command line...

Thats not to say it cant be done :)
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

I agree with jenkinsrob. Neither its possible with dsexport nor with dscmdexport.
Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall.
Andal
Participant

Post by Andal »

Hey Love,

If you are using dscmdexport , it is taking the whole project, which contains Job executables also.

Hi RK,

The export is done without any problem, But the dsx doesnt contain the job executables.
Rgds
Anand
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The export is done without any problem, But the dsx doesnt contain the job executables. I think we'll just have to agree that such is the current state of the technology. You might like to lodge an enhancement request. It's not a big problem - just means that you will need to re-compile jobs after importing them.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Andal
Participant

Post by Andal »

Ray,

We are posting these jobs directly to Customers. So we have to give the executables also. I will ask my manager to lodge a enhancement request.
Rgds
Anand
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sounds like your workaround needs to be a DSX "cutter". Export the entire project, then keep only the header, the job and the job executable. And, of course, any dependent objects, including routines and routine executables.

Layout of a DSX (or XML) export file is easily understood by inspection.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Here's a DSX-Cutter you can use, export the whole project and then fire this script at the .dsx file. It explodes every object into a stand-alone file. You're free to expand the functionality however you like.

viewtopic.php?t=85518&start=0
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
snassimr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snassimr »

Hi !

Similar to Andal's way

I try to use dsexport within routine and the cmd and dsexport process hung up . I ran the command within cmd of Windows and it runs ok .

I use ExecDOS routine with some changes ? Do you know whats the problem ?
Andal
Participant

Post by Andal »

Thanks Ray and Ken for Suggesting the Solutions. I wrote my own DSX splitter in VB long way back, but that doesnt solve my purpose. Because if we are posting a job to customer means we did some modifications on that job. So definetly we have to export the job from our development area only.

I posted this thread bcoz, in some of the earlier posts i have read that we have to do some modifications of manager settings in windows registry to make dsexport to work properly. so i thought that there woluld be some settings like that to achevie my solution.
Rgds
Anand
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Why do you need the executables directly? Does not a commandline compile-Tool solve your problem as well?

Wolfgang
Andal
Participant

Post by Andal »

commandline compile-Tool
I am not aware of this. Are you talking about "dsjob". Please clarify.
Rgds
Anand